Author Topic: Lumpy Knotty Osage Question????  (Read 1720 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Lumpy Knotty Osage Question????
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:32:48 pm »
OK...Chased a ring on this knotty Osage stave today.  Covered with knots, and small diameter so a pretty high crown.  Not sure what I want to do with it.  It is 70 inches long so plenty of room to work.  Question for you guys, what would you do?  Narrow and long to account for the high crown, or wide to accommodate the knots?  It's pretty straight from tip to tip, pretty dense thin rings.  This is my plan "b" for the trade if I can coax a safe shooter out of it.  Any and all ideas appreciated:)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: Lumpy Knotty Osage Question????
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:39:51 pm »
I think i would go with a fairly wide back and a slightly rounded belly anf thrn just treat the knots the same as you would on any other osage bow.
Steve Bennett

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:13:21 am »
I wouldn't go wider than 1 1/2" and work around the knots. The high crown shouldn't be a problem but the knots and limbd could if you are not careful.  By the way, those are pretty nice looking rings. Not thin at all.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:33:51 am »
Thanks Pat.  Yeah the rings are my kinda rings, tiny bit of early growth.  I'm thinkin' like you, keep it fairly narrow.  Love this piece of wood and just want to approach it from the right angle.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:41:29 am »
My vote is to stay on the narrower side, like PatB said.  I love small diameter osage. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:16:12 am »
I would also go with some type of longer bend in the handle bow as well with all those knots to distribute the stresses out more.