Author Topic: Twisted hickory to be straightened....I hope.  (Read 1756 times)

Offline twisted hickory

Twisted hickory to be straightened....I hope.
« on: March 16, 2013, 06:55:19 pm »
Here is my next project. It is a tillered 66 ntn hickory bow I posted about a while ago. Do you think this will work? I am going to heat treat 3.5 inches of reflex into it and hopefully get the string to line up with the handle. when the bow is unstrung it is straight but when strung the string is off to the side of the handle. Any suggestions? It will work or it will break trying >:D
From what I read one side of each limb is stronger than the other hence it bends crooked when strung or drawn.
Thanks for looking/suggestions,
Greg

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Twisted hickory to be straightened....I hope.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:10:02 am »
   Do you have a caliper or a micrometer? Measure the limb thickness on both sides in equal increments. You will be surprised by how little a difference in thickness will cause limb twist.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:22:33 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 09:24:21 am »
It is within .5 mm. When I tiller I use a compass w a pencil to mark the sides of the limbs for thickness to ensure they are the same. It is a prop twist....We will see what happens. After church the bow has a date with a heat gun ;)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 01:25:29 pm »
  How did the date with the heat gun work out?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;