Author Topic: Hello...  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Lyagooshka

Hello...
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:49:08 pm »
Hello all.  I am very new to just about everything here.  I will be hitting the magic 4-0 soon, and I realized that time runs in only one direction, so I will not put off things that have interested me forever any longer.  I have already started on a selfbow (another post), but I also want to make stone/glass points (and actually use them).  So, here are my initial questions:

Does anyone know of any organizations / groups in South Eastern PA (Lehigh Valley / Allentown)?

Are the “triangle” shapes of arrowheads a “standard”?  I ask this because of a post on another site.  A point (pun intended) was made, and I pretty much agree, that the shape of such arrow heads lead them to be “barbed”, which is illegal in some states, but also has some ethical ramifications to consider.  In an “off” shot, the arrow could not easily (pull out) of an animal and let the animal heal.  Would a “diamond” or “spade” shape with a tang be possible / practical?

Any other info for a newbie is much appreciated.

I am sure I will have plenty of others.  I have been trolling the forum, and am AMAZED at the quality of work.  LOVE the pictures.  With my ADD (sitting still while hunting is all but impossible for me  :-\ ) I think going between the selfbow and points will be a good exercise for me.  Thanks for your time.  Be well.

Alex

:P
"I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians." - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Hello...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:53:13 pm »
No, arrowheads can be any shape you want.  Also staring on some kind of material like tile, glass, toilet tank, ect. will help improve your skills for cheap. You can buy real flint if you want, but i find it hard to spall without having 10lbs of rubble and 10grams of arrowheads.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:23:50 pm »
Lyagooshka, Welcome to the site, I don't know of any groups close to you , There are quite a few knappers in the York area. I do believe that your area has some native rock, Penna jasper. Alot of points made in your area were made of this material. When you find the mother lode of jasper please remember me with a 1/2 ton. ;D ;D Points come in any shape you can think of. Penna legal hunting heads are not less than7/8"wide an not over 3"long with 2 cutting edges on the same plain. Nothing stated about barbs in the newer regs. Just thought of names from York area, Steve Nissley is an excellent knapper an very helpful person. If you get a chance to get to a knapin you will defintly shorten the learning curve, Don't get discouraged knapping is a skill not learned overnite, I am starting my 6th year an learn something every time I pick up my tools. Lots of videos on utube an lots of reading materials. Hope this helps some an hope see ya at some knappins. Later Bob

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 02:09:31 pm »
If you want to get a hold of Steve Nissley leave me know I have his # he is a good guy.
Rob

Offline Lyagooshka

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 04:29:08 pm »
Rob, sent you a PM.  Also, thank you everyone for the suggestions.  BTW - Looking at the amazing things people are doing, I really think I would like to try a "turkey tail".  Seems like a pretty good hunter?!?!  Really looking forward to it all.  Be well.

Alex

8)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:51:57 pm by Lyagooshka »
"I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians." - Mahatma Gandhi

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 04:58:10 pm »
Alex, you're right not to wait any longer. This is not a skill anyone can hand ya. You are gonna have to put in the hours and break the rock yourself. It is important to remember a couple things. First, that you have to break rock to make points (a point is still a rock until you stop whackin on it - this helps when you break "points" you thought were almost finished.) Second, you will bleed... a lot... and often! You will be dealing with some of the sharpest materials known to man. If this scares ya, quit now. Otherwise, welcome aboard. We have all been where you're at, some of us not so long ago. So if you have questions or just want to post a personal triumph, then feel free. There's a bunch of good guys on here that really know rocks and are generous with their advise.

Scott

Offline Lyagooshka

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:07:49 pm »
Scott,

Thanks for the advice.  I know what you mean "first hand".  I got a "starter kit" (hammer, flaker, leather pad) and some obsidian.  I made what could most acurately be described as a football.  After clean-up, I washed my hands.  BIG mistake.  Never felt the cuts, sure as heck felt the soap stinging in like 100 places  :o .  Still, I fell in love.  If I wanted to do it the easy way, I'd probably be on a "different" forum.  My dream (willing to work hard for it) is to take a deer / turkey / big game with a homemade selfbow and glass point.  To me, it doesn't get more rewarding.  Again, thank you all for the help.  Really looking forward to it.  Seeing all the pictures really gets the motivation level up.  Be well.

Alex

;D

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:31 pm »
I agree 100%. Few things in this life are as rewarding as the quest you have set for yourself. I started down the same road about 10 yrs ago, bows first then everything else. This last hunting season I took my first primitive turkey and my 4th primitive deer.  The hunts are a lot more meaningful nowadays...

Sure have learned a lot from this site...

Scott

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 11:20:14 pm »
Alex, that was also one of my goals to kill a deer with one of my own self bows an one of my own stone points, an a cane arrow. My first stone kill was with a Keokuk point. When you accomplish this goal you will have joined a pretty unique club ;D , the member ship numbers are pretty low :o Good Luck an don't get discouraged, it takes some time but you can do it. Later Bob