Author Topic: looks like a longbow, shoots like a compound  (Read 3748 times)

Englishbowman

looks like a longbow, shoots like a compound
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:26:27 pm »
A few days ago I spend 30 minutes whittling away at a hazel stave I got from some woods near my house, the result was an ugly half-finished looking piece of wood. I forgot about it for a while, but today I decided to have a quick shoot with it. As soon as I drew it back I was amazed as the draw weight seemed to decrease as I drew it back further, it was like pulling a compound ???. After shooting with it for I while I soon discovered that it was quite accurate and so I left it as it was. I think it’s about 20lb at full draw that’s about 27'' for me but it passes through double that while drawing back.

Guess it shows that looks aren’t everything ;D

Offline Badger

Re: looks like a longbow, shoots like a compound
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 03:55:29 pm »
   I can't understand how it could drop in weight as you draw it back, have you measured the weight at each 1 inch of draw, what you are saying is unheard of to my knowledge, there are some very extreme designs that have just a tad of let off but nothing like a compound. Has the bow taken any set?  Steve

Englishbowman

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 07:08:06 am »
The bow itself has some large knots on it surface and after use it does seem to set and so i have to bend it back into shape. All i can say is that the string seems to slacken near full draw.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 01:27:18 pm »
Hi,
I think that the wood is so wet, it won't break. The moisture content would be very high in a newly cut stave.