Author Topic: seeking information  (Read 1538 times)

Offline ojibwatbowyer

seeking information
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:14:37 am »
I need some information on some online sources that have pictures on different point types such as knives and arrowheads from Canada and Northern States. Mainly minesota, michigan and western wisconsin, as well as Ontario and eastern Manitoba. Sorry for my spelling, to lazy to spell check. ;D

Nate

Offline ojibwatbowyer

Re: seeking information
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 12:15:17 am »
I just saw the spell check button beside the post button  :laugh:

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:51:07 am »
I would reccomend the overstreet guide it has all the point types and geographic locations...othrwise you can type in or google the point types of your region and you shoud get pictures or references to what you are looking for.  You can try your local library too.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 12:14:57 am »
Here is a link to free pdf books on point types.http://flintknappinginfo.webstarts.com/point_types.html

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:36:02 am »
Easy.

The area you describe is just east of the "Northern Plains" area.  That means that the point types will be a mix of Northern Plains types and Eastern types.  Probably 200 different points if you look at the time period from Paleo to Late Prehistoric.  Historic types will include some more types made of iron, brass, and copper from trade with Europeans.  Then there are the various inuit types that might be found on the Northern fringes of the area you want.  This also does not include the various bone, shell, antler, and wood points.  Then there are also specimens made of naturally occurring Great Lakes copper that were made before contact with Europeans.

Then you'll have to decide for yourself which stone blades are knives, which ones are atlatl points, which ones are ceremonial, and which ones are arrow points.  Archeologists have no clue.  God might know.   ;D

In other words, you've got to narrow it down just a little bit.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:41:59 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 01:31:38 am »
Nate, I hope you don't mind my know-it-all answer.  Sorry. ;)

I've been reading archaeology stuff all week and it's amazing how much we really don't know about how stone tools were used.  The farther back we go, the worse it gets.  True arrowheads are not too bad.  We pretty much know by their small size.

As far as the stone points that the Ojibwe or Chippewa might have used, it's very hard to know anything of the really early days.  The later days saw a general simplification of points.  Triangular and leaf-shaped knife and arrowhead blades with no notches were pretty common.  So were antler tine arrowheads.

I'll do some research on this for you. :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:14:35 am »
So its like lookingfor a needle in a pile of needles eh? or in this case an arrowhead in a pile of arrowheads? I'll take it 8)