Author Topic: Tip overlays on a rawhide backed bow  (Read 3813 times)

Offline e36freak

Tip overlays on a rawhide backed bow
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:07:13 pm »
I'd like to put wooden overlays on a rawhide backed bow, but I'm not sure the best way to go about doing so. Do you glue the wood on top of the rawhide? Or trim the rawhide before the overlay?

Also, I can't decide between the cow rawhide from 3rivers or goat rawhide from raptor archery, which would be the better option?

Thanks.

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Tip overlays on a rawhide backed bow
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:11:04 pm »
I have done horn over rawhide and worked just fine. 

Or you could get whitetail rawhide from Echo Archery (http://echoarchery.com/bow-making-supplies)   ;)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:23:46 pm »
I am still a rookie a building bows but I have rawhided backed several bows.  I like the thinest rawhide I can find.  Where you get it really doesn't matter.  The goat most of the time is much thinner than cow rawhide, but you can thin it.  I've used goat in the past with good success.  As far as tip over lays, the rawhide doesn't have to go to the very end especially if you cover it with skins or something.  I prefer to stop the rawhide short with a sanded taper and cover it with some skins adding the overlays directly to the wood.

But like I said,  I have a few bows under my belt and I sure someone will chime in here with a lot more experience.
Good luck, and enjoy the journey.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 02:36:13 pm »
Goat and deer rawhide are similar in thickness and toughness in my opinion.  Cowhide is pretty thick, kind of overkill for bow backing.  Clarified calfskin was considered top notch by yew wood bowyers of long ago, but calf is much thinner than cowhide.  I would be interested in the clarification process if anyone has information on it. 

As for gluing your tip overlays over rawhide, I have done it with horn over deer rawhide and thought it looked pretty good.  I will see if i have a picture.  I used hide glue for the rawhide to bow, and superglue (CA) for the horn to rawhide.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline e36freak

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:33:32 am »
I had planned on Titebond II for both, is there any reason it wouldn't work?

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 07:10:12 am »
Titebond should work. But with the difficulty of sealing your rawhidebacked bow, you might opt for TB III instead. It being waterproof will provide another layer of protection against moisture and any delamination.

I have always used whitetail rawhide, but goat would be a good substitute. I'm afraid I would try to avoid using cow, due to its thickness. No need for all that excess weight.

Scott

Offline e36freak

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 09:14:34 pm »
The cow rawhide that 3rivers sells is apparently quite thin, but I'm gonna go with the whitetail. If nothing else, just because it's whitetail, which is what I plan on using it to hunt with at some point. Besides, that's what I originally wanted, but couldn't find it (just found the goat and the cow). So thanks for the link.

I've heard that III isn't great for rawhide backings, because it gets really dark when it dries, and doesn't look great since you can see through the hide. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:03:28 am by e36freak »

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:34:46 pm »
I would cut the rawhide off where the tip overlays would be I think it would look better my self. And as for goat or cow rawhide, rawhide is rawhide just I think cows alittle thicker not sure
I like osage

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:15:03 am »
I agree with Joec123able.

I would venture to say,that a bond in a high pressure place,like the nocks,would be better,with a wood to wood,or wood to horn,than to rawhide.I wouldnt risk it.