Author Topic: 1 copperhead skin needed  (Read 3327 times)

Offline EricWard

1 copperhead skin needed
« on: February 23, 2013, 06:47:47 pm »
Im looking for 1 copperhead skin I have a dark 1 and a light 1 so I need to find a match for 1 of them

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 1 copperhead skin needed
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 07:10:15 pm »
Eric, I have a pair on light colored copperheads that don't match. They are in kinda rough shape though. How much skin do you need?  I'll check these and see if one or both will work for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline warpath

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:21:59 pm »
Pat-  If he can't use either or both of those skins, pm me. I would love to trade for some copperheads. Been looking for a pair for awhile now.

G

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:30:54 am »
I have one copperhead skin, but it is short.  2-1/2 x 18 inches.  The other end tore on me so, I used it for an arrow wrap.  If this will work for you what would you want to trade?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline EricWard

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:57:45 pm »
Thanks Pat, I need at least 1.5 x 22 long if you have one that will work I have sinew, rawhide and antlers if your interested in any of that your welcome to it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:14:50 pm »
You know what I'm interested in!  ;)  I'll get these in the mail soon. See ya at the Classic.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:54:01 am »
You can match skin color with leather dye.

After you get the skins on and dry you can use medium brown dye with a small brush to build up color on the lighter skin. I add one or two coats to the darker skin so they will have the same hue.

Here is an example of  two skins I  spliced and matched with dye, they weren't even close when I started.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 02:09:42 pm »
You know what I'm interested in!  ;)  I'll get these in the mail soon. See ya at the Classic.  8)

Apple pie?  ::)  ;D  :laugh:  8)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 05:56:13 pm »
Without the apples!  ;D

Offline EricWard

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 06:20:40 pm »
Thanks for the info Eric ill give that a try that looked really good. And for Pat and Blackhawk I'm baking some apple pie with and without apples. Thanks guys

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:34:49 pm »
 ;D  ;D  ;D  :laugh:

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 11:02:29 pm »
nice tip w the leather dye. i'll have to remember that one

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 12:02:44 pm »
I should elaborate more on the technique;

I am pretty sure I thinned the leather dye with alcohol to mute the color for a better match

You use a brush the same size you would use to make very fine cresting lines. Make a fine line on the outer edge of the pattern about an inch long, the dye dries quickly so you don't want to do too much at a time. Next, quickly use a wider 1/4" dry brush to blot the line you made. You blot from the outside edge of the pattern inward. If you look at my picture you can see how the line is distinct on the outside edge of the pattern and blurs as well as fades out as it goes to the center of the pattern.

Dry brushing is an easy technique to master although I do recommend you practice on some scrap skin before you tackle the real thing.   

Here is another dye matched skin. The skin on the other limb was really vibrant and so it took more color to match.