Author Topic: Also posted in EWB- shortened bow and installed ebony nocks- chrysaling!!!?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,38507.0.html

Just figured I'd post this here too to get some more advice/opinions.  Yes I'm new at this and it was impulsive and poorly planned LOL.  Bow was cheap for me so not the end of the world..and it still shoots well...for now :)

Offline randman

I agree with everything that was said on the EWB side. In my experience, chrysals usually mean you have a stiffer/thicker limb outboard of the chrysal site and with the video I can see that bow is bending mostly in the middle. I can't tell from the pics where the chrysals are but I'm going to guess on the inner third towards the grip on both limbs. The outer portions of both limbs look pretty thick so if it was me, I'd taper the outer portions of both limbs from the chrysal site out to the tips. That would probably mean removing the ebony tips but I don't think ebony is a good choice for a tip anyways. Like Dark Soul said, ebony is hard and dense BUT having carved ebony for years I know how flakey, crumbly and easy ebony splits in the right grain direction. Go to the pet store and buy some of those dog chew antler pieces with pointy tips and make some english style antler tips from the points or get some real horn for the tips. Heck, with hickory, you don't even really need tips or overlays (they just add weight anyway). Make some nice opposing side nocks on either end and yer done.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.