Author Topic: Deflex reflex help.. again  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Aries

Deflex reflex help.. again
« on: October 28, 2007, 01:54:47 am »
Ok, so i have my growth ring established, and my design cut out. But at what time during the tillering process should i place the bends in the limbs of my deflex-reflex style bow? In the past(with slight recurves) i have just got the limbs into near working condition and heated them in, but the bends i am planning will be more severe and i cant predict as easily the out come of the tiller. Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Deflex reflex help.. again
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 12:42:12 pm »
As a limb takes set the wood cells along the belly get damaged and the bow bends toward the belly when unbraced. To what extent this happens is up to you and the wood you are using. When I add reflex to a limb or recurve the tips I like to do it after floor tillering and a low brace height to be sure the string is tracking OK. This is before the wood is stressed too much. With careful tillering after this point, less set will occur, usually. If you wait until set has already occurred before you reflex or recurve, the damage is already done and you will loose that much reflex before you get going with the rest of the tillering. This is my theory and for me it works. I'm sure others will have their own opinions.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC