Author Topic: Vine Maple Staves  (Read 12597 times)

Offline Flashman

Re: Vine Maple Staves
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 12:32:28 am »
I would suggest debarking, and chopping out a rough bow right away and then placing the bow/stave in a frame while it dries to minimize the warping, twisting and other changes, particularly lateral movement.  This can be as simple as a one or two inch reflex by placing a two inch block at the handle and then tying or clamping down the nock ends of the limbs ala Jim Riggs; but also, bracing with another piece of wood 90 degrees to the back end by clamping the bow from the side.  This is important in my experience in order to get the string to cross at or close to the handle--the biggest problem making vine maple bows. 

In Western Washington, I would suggest two weeks to dry.  Then do the next stave and so on.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 12:51:36 am by Flashman »

Milo

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 12:56:00 am »
The Olympic National Park is a lot more difficult to harvest from than scoping out weyerhauser or simpson land... plus you need special Olympic harvest permits to keep your butt out of jail.

Spent a full day sunrise to sunset harvesting in the ONP....   and was sorely dissappointed considering all the hoops, gas, time, etc...

I live a stone's throw from Black Lake... and ironically my name is also Keith.

Small world.

brian melton

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 10:24:25 pm »
Milo,

Good to see you here again...got some spots picked out behind the house....get the saws ready.... ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 10:55:29 pm »
   Hey Milo,Good to see you back. Wow,first Russel,then you.Has anybody heard how Keenan is doing?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 11:40:52 pm »
Glad to meet you Keith!   ;D  I am on Delphi Rd, so we are neighbors too.  Does anyone shoot primitive at the Black Lake Archery range?

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Milo

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 01:16:05 am »
Are you talking about the archery shop on delphi across from the old rock quarry/gas station? or are you talking about the 3d range off Littlerock road?

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 12:05:31 pm »
I see some of you guys are in Olympia, I also live in Olympia and shoot primative at Blacklake archery. May be I will see you around. Greg

Milo

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 03:57:45 pm »
Good grief ! Where the heck are you guys coming out of the wood works?  lol

I guess Oly has more bowyers in it than I thought.  Any other Oly/Tum/Lac bowyer-lurkers out there?

Keith AKA Milo

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 10:07:43 pm »
Keith/Milo,

I was talking about the range across from the quarry on Black Lake.  I've been there a couple of times, but all wheel bows when I went.  Are you talking about Capitol City Gun Club for the 3D range?

Maybe we'll have to schedule a primitive get together at the indoor range on some rainy winter day?  Next summer I will host a get together at my property if we get a few that are interested.

Keith

Offline Gordon

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 11:14:37 pm »
Heck Keith, I'll come up with a few of my buddies if you hold a get-together. It's not that far.
Gordon

Milo

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2007, 01:07:29 am »
I've always thought of the idea of hosting here - but alas, I do not have a yard that would accomodate even the smaller of gatherings, let alone actually flinging a few.  lol

Yeah, I would completely be down for either a rainy day shoot or a get together. I guess just keep us posted!

Keith AKA Milo

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2007, 04:52:11 pm »
I am surprised how many locals are on this list as well!   :o  Next summer I could set up a few extra straw bales in the back property, and there is a full section of timber country if some want to do stump shooting - even a nice creek with fields and an old orchard.  Shooting in the early PM, Cold beer (or maybe even Mead), and a barbeque in the late PM.  Maybe we can find a local napper to do a demo?  Or have a friendly shooting competition with a nice stave or a draw knife for a prize?

Maybe those that are within driving distance can send me a personal email and your full name so I can add you to my address book?  We can determine a date and flesh out the plan during the long, dark, rainy winter months... >:(  As far as the indoor range, I would think any weekend after hunting season and the holidays would be great!

Keith Anderson
Delphilabs@msn.com

JakeNW

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2007, 04:19:48 pm »
Hey count me in for that shoot/BBQ. I just moved back to Montesano after being in Colorado the last seven years. Might be moving to the Olympia area next spring though to shorten my commute and free up some more time for hunting ;). I just cut some VM staves myself. Any tips for removing the bark on winter-cut staves? Seems like it would be hard not to cut into the wood with all the knots and such.

Milo

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2007, 07:08:02 pm »
For winter cut, I just like a really good scraper with a sharp burl, a good pocket knife, and a really dull pocket knife.   Gives me something to do on cold winter days...  ;)