Author Topic: Question on heat gun and backing  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Hunts with stone

Question on heat gun and backing
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:32:28 am »
Okay I want to buy A heat gun there's one that runs 720 to 920 is hot enough and what can I use for a backing over knots. denim , paper? Do u use tb3 for this?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Question on heat gun and backing
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:39:23 am »
Any heat gun will do the job if you intend to use it for heat straightening and belly tempering. Buy a heat gun that has two or three settings (easy to regulate the heat).

Apply heat first, and THEN back a bow. The heat will otherwise destroy the glue bond. It depends if a backing is required. But denim and paper make very lousy backings. Go for linen, silk or rawhide. And yes, TB3 will be fine for this.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 10:56:17 am »
Thanks for the fast reply . I really appreciate the help thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:42:50 am »
Just because a bow has knots in it doesn't mean it needs a backing but like DarkSoul said silk, linen or rawhide will work. Brown grocery bag paper does make a good backing but maybe not as good as the others mentioned. Denim will make a backing but will add excess physical wiht without any extra benefits.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:12:52 pm »
Thanks the ony reason i'm bacling is this BL is a bummer to chase rings and just can't keep on one so i've got it close. The stave has Good character and the knots are pretty well done. I've got rawhide so I'll back it with that just to be safe.