Author Topic: are most production bows bear pearson etc,, made with fiberglass?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
still lookin for a bow,,budget is small right now, but wondering if production bows are made with fiberglass laminate or backing or if they really are made from just wood..loking for, need primitive bow,,all wood,,see a lot of bows but not sure of what they made of, an of course never listed,,thanks! Rc
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline agd68

Re: are most production bows bear pearson etc,, made with fiberglass?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:08:39 am »
Pretty much all the production bows are fiber glass laminates as far as I know.  If you are looking for a primitive bow with a budget in mind try looking at the U finish bows from rudderbows.com . All you have to do is some finish sanding and stain. Some guys like em some dont.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:27:21 pm »
...or get a red oak board from your local home improvement store, come back on PA and let us help you build your own. You cshould be able to buy a red oak board for less than $10 and a few simple hand tools will be all you need.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 03:08:40 pm »
...or get a red oak board from your local home improvement store, come back on PA and let us help you build your own. You cshould be able to buy a red oak board for less than $10 and a few simple hand tools will be all you need.

what Pat said, that's the only way to go
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 09:15:04 pm »
lol I've given that much thought.......an I think either I'd set bowmaking back 100 years..or be arrested for wood abuse by the SPCW..  thanks guys!
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 10:40:05 am »
 a lot of the early production bows were made with wood. lemonwood was real common, pearson used hickory a lot, bear had some from hickory, although his early bows made by grumley were mostly osage. you will find some of the bows from the 50's backed with fortisan. because of thier age they can be brittle. the old grumleys are real collectible so it would be best to not shoot them.