Author Topic: Sisters broken bow-Big lesson!  (Read 5406 times)

Offline autologus

Re: Sisters broken bow-Big lesson!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 01:07:56 pm »
Tell ya what you could do, build the shooter a new bow just for himself.  Just to show him no hard feelings about breaking your sisters bow.  I think a Poplar backed Western Cedar ELB should fill the bill.  >:D

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 01:42:20 pm »
i like that Grady!

Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Don

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 02:18:46 pm »
That's a shame. That was a nice looking bow.
There's been several compound people want to shoot a bow I've made, they just get a big old NO.
I know whats going to happen. [Look how far I can draw it] ::)

Offline autologus

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 02:57:24 pm »
The way you get those wheely bow guys is when they over draw yours ask to shoot theirs then dry fire it.  They will $#!t down both legs.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 03:38:38 pm »
I think caution is warranted under all circumstances. I recently witnessed an experienced bowyer handing over his prized 60 year old yew self bow to another experienced bowyer who took all reasonable precautions when shooting it. After about 5 shots it blew up into a million pieces and and cracked the shooter on the head pretty good. the bow's owner was very gracious and only showed concern for the shooter's well being but the shooter's misery and regret was palpable. I'm not so worried about the possibility of my bow breaking, I just never want someone to feel like that if they happen to break my bow.

And I drew that bow minutes before he did. I think Bryce must have looked at it cross-eyed or something.  ;D Seriously I'm glad no one was injured.
Gordon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 03:44:00 pm »
How much did you guys know about wood bows before you started building and learning them? Ten years ago I would have pulled it back the same way this person did. When you grow up full drawing every bow you touch there is nothing telling you not to when a selfbow is handed over, its not a matter of being a "wheelie guy".  Its always going to be the owners responsibility. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 03:47:54 pm »
This was one draw of making heavy weight bows awhile ago.  Figured most people's shoulders would blow before they would get the bow drawn far enough to break it.  Sorry for the loss, always hurts to see one go because of stupidity.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 03:50:21 pm »
I think caution is warranted under all circumstances. I recently witnessed an experienced bowyer handing over his prized 60 year old yew self bow to another experienced bowyer who took all reasonable precautions when shooting it. After about 5 shots it blew up into a million pieces and and cracked the shooter on the head pretty good. the bow's owner was very gracious and only showed concern for the shooter's well being but the shooter's misery and regret was palpable. I'm not so worried about the possibility of my bow breaking, I just never want someone to feel like that if they happen to break my bow.

And I drew that bow minutes before he did. I think Bryce must have looked at it cross-eyed or something.  ;D Seriously I'm glad no one was injured.

that bad boy packed a WALLAP! lol good size lump on my head for a few days. still feel bad i think i roughed out about 5 bows when i got home lol
got this one braced and getting ready to add a few minor details and send it his way :D

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DuBois

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 05:45:45 am »
Tell ya what you could do, build the shooter a new bow just for himself.  Just to show him no hard feelings about breaking your sisters bow.  I think a Poplar backed Western Cedar ELB should fill the bill.  >:D

Grady
You do got a wicked side to ya Grady
How much did you guys know about wood bows before you started building and learning them? Ten years ago I would have pulled it back the same way this person did. When you grow up full drawing every bow you touch there is nothing telling you not to when a selfbow is handed over, its not a matter of being a "wheelie guy".  Its always going to be the owners responsibility. 
  ;D

I agree PD, it was really my fault for being blind to the danger and not passing info on to her. I'm sure that guy had no clue and had probably never seen anything like that bow before.
She did say he appologized profusely.

Pinecone was the bow killer huh? Glad everyone survived with all their parts intact.