Author Topic: Buckthorn deflex/ REEEEEFLEX  (Read 8222 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Buckthorn deflex/ REEEEEFLEX
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 10:52:26 pm »
Another mighty fine bow, Cody!! :)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 10:54:07 pm »
Dang nice one there Cody and thats some bold reflex. The buckthorn sure isn't just average bow wood from the looks of what your getting it to do. Now you giving me the push to get a little more daring with my bow design, just what I need after breaking one on
the tillering tree today :laugh: :laugh:.

Thanks Greg. If you do attempt one of the more touchy designs, I would recommend heat tempering it. also, go narrow, 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" wide, It seems to like that.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 10:56:43 pm »
MAN!!!!  The profile down to the finish ;D is beautiful.   I just love the reflexes d flexed bows a my fave. Keep em comin. 

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 11:10:16 pm »
I'm certain that this is one of the most inspiring bows I've ever seen!  Awesome job youngman...

OneBow

Ya, the reflex is unreal. Nice!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 11:20:07 pm »
O.K. So with you posting all of these very fine buckthorn bows,I happened to notice some trees the other day. I don't know how I knew they were buckthorn ,but somehow I just did. Lots and lots of it. Acres in fact................................................in a conservation area. Just wait, it gets worse. Further along the trail there is a sign saying how it's an invasive species and the conservation authority is trying to get rid of it all(good luck!) If they were cutting it ,I would make a few calls to see if I could get the wood. Some the size of a small apple tree. But they are using a hebicide, and It looks like most of the bigger stuff is dead >:(. I'm hoping there might be a few stray patches in vacant lots or along roadsides nearby. Wish me luck.It seems that you are suitably impressed with it's characteristics.

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 12:39:24 am »
That bow is incredible!  I can't believe you're able to do that with a self-bow.  I see glass-backed longbows that don't have that kind of aggressive reflex.  Well done!  Have you put it through a chrono yet?  I'd be really interested to hear what kind of FPS it puts out.

Also, anybody else think the buckthorn is a good look-alike for yew at a distance?
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 01:01:44 am »
Super duper. It seems to me like buckthorn is the best mix of osage and yew. Haven't worked it yet but it looks durable, specially the way its handling that reflex and poppin back into place and has a nice grain pattern and silkiness like the yew. Hmmmmm.  I think you may have started something cody. I'm gonna have to see if we got any growing in my neck of the woods and giver a look see. Outstanding bow buddy.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Gordon

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 01:39:13 am »
That bow has some serious reflex. I am impressed.
Gordon

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 01:50:45 am »
Wow, gorgeous profile.  Finish work is top shelf as usual. And I got to say that buckthorn is very impressive wood.  I bet its almost as good as plum >:D >:D

Great work Cody,

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline randman

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 02:08:06 am »
I love all the bows you make Cody. That buckthorn is some beautiful stuff. Why is it the nasty invasives always seem to make the good bows?
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline raghorns

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 02:22:40 am »
Very nice Cody...bring that to the Classic...pleeeease. You are definitely the Master of Missile Launchers!

Lyle   
Live Life at Full Draw

mikekeswick

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 03:48:25 am »
I am very impressed.
Believe me I don't say that very often.
Top drawer work on that bow.
Buckthorn is a great wood, we have lots growing here but man is it tough to find a good piece....however I do have some staves drying. The first bow I made from it was only 1 1/4 wide 56 inches and draws 60lbs @ 26, it took virtually no set and because it was only the 1 st from this weood I didn't push it too far. The next bow from it is going to be tortured with some serious reflex!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 04:06:53 am »
Always look forward to seeing Your bows Cody, and this one didn't disappoint. Really like the profile of this one - well done. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 04:33:57 am »
Sweet bend in that bow.  I used to scorn buckthorn when I had to push my way through the stuff.  Never would have guessed it a first rate bow wood.  Wish I had some now. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 04:48:17 am »
Great looking bow, you look well pleased with it. Im shooting my buckthorn bow more and more, shame I dont have any more staves.