Author Topic: 56" copperhead character bow  (Read 17293 times)

Offline FlintWalker

56" copperhead character bow
« on: October 28, 2007, 11:36:10 pm »
This is a little bow I made back in August.  I had this stave standing in the corner of my basement that looked bound for the Wood King but after picking it up and looking at it several times I thought, "What is there to loose?"
  So after several rounds with the heat gun I got it straight enough to work with. The stave was only 58" long so I left it deflexed a little at the fades and flipped the tips up a bit. It looks like it has a ton of string follow but it only took around an inch and a half of set during tillering. 
 It finished out 60# @ 28" of draw and measures 56" NTN. It has some good size knots and one hole almost completely through the lower limb that reminds me of a volcano. I put a couple road killed copperhead skins on the limbs and some beavertail on the grip.
   I really like the way this one shoots and as soon as it cools up, I intend to "Thump" a deer or two with it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: 56" copperhead character bow
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 11:47:03 pm »
Here is a couple shots of the stave before I straightened it. Kinda looked like kindling to me! It was twisted about 45 degrees and had a bad dogleg in it. Just goes to prove, there is no "bad" osage.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 11:51:54 pm »
Very nice.

Makes me want to take another look at some of my staves that I had put aside for not being "bow worthy"!!  ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline white wood

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:05:55 am »
beautiful bow saw filer! tiller looks great. ive also been making my handles nice and round theyre comfortable. great job on that trickey stave, -whitewood
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:10:56 am »
I like how you salvaged a difficult piece of wood. Tiller and skin job are terrific.
Gordon

Milo

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 12:18:14 am »
Wow - that really turned out to be one really beautiful bow! great combination of materials & awesome job taming that stave!  Well done my friend!

Now simply mail that bow to:  8220 Dawn Hill.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 12:23:09 am »
She's a beauty Shannon. No such thing as throw-away osage. There is a bow in every piece...you just have to find it!...and you did.  ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jwillis

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 12:31:47 am »
Wow, good-looking bow.  With that knot on it, shoulda named it "snake eye"...lol.  I'll bet that's a sweet shooting bow.  Jim

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 12:42:36 am »
I almost forgot.  The limbs are 1-5/8" wide tapering down to 3/8"

tradrick

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 01:14:12 am »
Great looking bow.You deffinatly got skills after seeing that stave.Excellant job.tradrick

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 02:50:23 am »

really nice bow! the details around the knots lock really coooool! great tiller, too!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 07:14:21 am »
Beautiful,got a lot out of that piece of wood,great detail and the tiller is dead on.
good job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

a finnish native

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 07:22:10 am »
I was terrified after looking at the first pic, but after reading the text I got it. nice job!

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 09:37:06 am »
Beautiful bow! Great job getting a bow out of that piece of wood. Those copperheads look great on it.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 10:43:27 am »
Great looking bow, I need to try a shorty like that some day.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI