Author Topic: Trad linen/hemp strings  (Read 3018 times)

Offline RobertofGwent

Trad linen/hemp strings
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:50:32 pm »
I'd like to know where to source linen or hemp for making traditional bowstrings and which is more suitable for warbows? And finally can anyone recommend a good reference/guide for making strings out of such material?
R

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Trad linen/hemp strings
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:11:56 pm »
I go to pyrosupplies.com, and buy the 70# a strand imported hungarian stuff. Good stuff. I make my strings about 6 times the draw weight. I also only use loops, hitch knots will crush the fibers easy on heavy weights. I do 3 ply too, just because I like how it is rounded. I don't know if there is any advantage though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:14:22 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:40:14 pm »
Barbour's Irish Linen tread is a good place to start but don't buy a light colour as it quite likely to have been bleached and it's ruined.  Ebay has loads. 
That's what the 120lb at 30" elm bow had at the recent shoot.  I reinforce the timber hitch end and don't twist it too much as it makes the string weaker as it stresses the outer fibres more than the centre.

That Hungarian stuff looks interesting.

Jeremy

Offline RobertofGwent

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 06:23:44 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm looking for a UK outlet for the Hungarian stuff. There's only one Irish linen reel on ebay at present. How can I tell if it's light/bleached - the roll is covered in paper. It's 3 cord No. 60. Is that the right stuff?

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:18:25 pm »
Rob

I'll send you a link to the good stuff but as a general rule the thinner the strands, the better as it spreads any weakness and  bleached stuff is worthless for all but servings.  So avoid like the plague!

Jeremy