Author Topic: Dreams can come true.  (Read 19694 times)

Offline adb

Re: Dreams can come true.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 01:43:23 pm »
Yes, on the EWBS website. www.theenglishwarbowsociety.com

On the top titles row, click on 'About' (second from left), scroll down there until you find 'Shooting Equipment' 'The Bows', and it's there. Min length, min draw weights, etc.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:47:30 pm by adb »

Offline WillS

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 03:50:43 pm »
Quote from: BillBow
Have you seen these figures written down somewhere ?

The post I made was a direct quote from the EWBS website.

Quote from: abd
Good grief... I agree with Ian... where did this come from??? The Mary Rose Trust even took a few bows and drew them to full draw on the tiller to look at their shape and draw weight. Why on earth would Henry VIII have a warship full of unfinished warbows???

Like I said above, I don't actually think they were unfinished.  I know people who do, and I know people who have done talks on them being unfinished.  And the fact still remains that the Mary Rose Trust actually list them as "incomplete."  Whether that's a reference to broken bows or bows that they consider weren't finished I have no idea.  For some reason, whenever conversation about these bows comes up - either on forums or in general - people get very fired up very quickly. 

Offline BillBow

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 04:05:56 pm »
Yes, on the EWBS website. www.theenglishwarbowsociety.com

On the top titles row, click on 'About' (second from left), scroll down there until you find 'Shooting Equipment' 'The Bows', and it's there. Min length, min draw weights, etc.
Thanks for this info abd, as my bow is 70# at 32 I would be ok even if I lied abot my age.

BillBow

Offline adb

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 05:47:14 pm »
Yup... you should be good to go, and if you're over 60, you're even more good to go! I think it has more to do with getting a full draw (30+") and shooting 'in the bow' with proper form, than heavy draw weight.

Offline adb

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 06:00:52 pm »
Quote from: BillBow
Have you seen these figures written down somewhere ?

The post I made was a direct quote from the EWBS website.

Quote from: abd
Good grief... I agree with Ian... where did this come from??? The Mary Rose Trust even took a few bows and drew them to full draw on the tiller to look at their shape and draw weight. Why on earth would Henry VIII have a warship full of unfinished warbows???

Like I said above, I don't actually think they were unfinished.  I know people who do, and I know people who have done talks on them being unfinished.  And the fact still remains that the Mary Rose Trust actually list them as "incomplete."  Whether that's a reference to broken bows or bows that they consider weren't finished I have no idea.  For some reason, whenever conversation about these bows comes up - either on forums or in general - people get very fired up very quickly.

I believe the references to 'incomplete' bows are to fragments or pieces of incomplete bows... not ones which were untillered. Think about it... who would finish tillering them on board a ship, and why would they take up precious space on an already crowded warship if they had no purpose? Makes little or no sense to me.

Yes, when it comes to the Mary Rose bows, there are many theories and many opinions. Most are not based on close observation or replication. Most people with theories haven't even been to Portsmouth, nevermind handled any of these bows. I've done both, but in no way consider myself even slightly qualified to offer much of an opinion. I believe these were weapons of war, used at the peak of their effectiveness, and certainly had a purpose onboard a warship. I believe they had draw weights of 100-180#, which was required to shoot a heavy projectile with effectiveness. Beyond that, I'm not qualified.

However, this is getting way off topic of the original post... a beautiful Poletti bow, which happens to be 70#@32". A warbow or not?... depending on your opinion of what that is. EWBS says it is. I agree. All be it at the minimum end, but a warbow none the less. It is tillered to draw to 32", does so in a more or less circular fashion, is >74", and has no grip.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:39:23 pm by adb »

Offline Peter-t123

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 11:10:49 am »
  If you're not entering EWBS shoots, and you want a bow that you can realistically use, then why get a 150# monster?
I would like to think that I could go to a EWBS shoot and stand in line with all the other Warbow lovers but if I am not allowed to do that with a mere 70# bow I will understand.
PS. I have just had a look at the EWBS website and they don't seem to have a minimum poundage for shooting at their meets, Just a minimum length, and NO hand Grip.(Which I have already removed)

BillBow.

youd be allowed to shoot whatever bow you wanted

Offline WillS

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 12:58:55 pm »

....as long as it was over 70 pounds, longer than 74" and as ADB said, was drawn to the full 32" then yes, anything you want...

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 02:21:46 pm »
Beautiful bow.  I am curious what is the ring count on that particular Italian yew? 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Peter-t123

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 04:44:44 pm »

....as long as it was over 70 pounds, longer than 74" and as ADB said, was drawn to the full 32" then yes, anything you want...

no that isnt what i said, i said anything he wanted

Offline BillBow

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 05:39:57 pm »
Beautiful bow.  I am curious what is the ring count on that particular Italian yew?
I will try and count the rings tomorrow Carson.

BillBow.

Offline WillS

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 05:55:42 pm »
How are you doing on the draw BillBow? Are you getting almost to 32" yet?

Offline BillBow

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 07:31:47 am »

OK Carson, I will let you try and count the RPI.

Offline BillBow

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 07:44:52 am »
How are you doing on the draw BillBow? Are you getting almost to 32" yet?

Looking at this photo I can see that I need to pull my right shoulder back which will give me another 2" or so.
The red mark is 26" my normal target bow draw length, so I think I am drawing about 29" here.
Anyway my coach Poseidon is happy with my progress  ;)

Bill.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:12:05 am by BillBow »

Offline BillBow

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 07:49:19 am »
Here is a pic of the bow now that I have removed the Hand grip.

Offline adb

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2013, 11:19:28 am »
Looks like a warbow now!

It would also be more helpful to see your full draw from the other side.