Linked Events

• UK Primitive Gathering, 23rd to 28th May 2013: May 23, 2013 - May 28, 2013

Author Topic: UK Primitive Gathering, 23rd to 28th May 2013  (Read 5463 times)

Offline markinengland

UK Primitive Gathering, 23rd to 28th May 2013
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:23:46 pm »
We are once again having a primitive gathering in the UK this year. There are a few changes planned on last year's format.

The event will be held from 23rd May until 28th May 2013 inclusive.

The emphasis will be on a social primitive gathering though we do intend to hold a competitive shoot at the weekend for both archers and atlatlists.

Those who attend are welcome to come for the whole period or just part of it.

We will be making use of the camping facilities and course of Holmbush NFAS Field Archery Club. A £5 per night per tent charge will go to the Landlord. A similar charge per day will also go towards organisation costs etc though this has not yet been fully bottomed out.

The course is set in lovely Sussex farmland and woodland. For our international visitors the nearest airport is Gatwick. Camping facilities in the form of a tap, a composting toilet and a field are available. There are shops, pub and other essentials a short drive away in the village nearby though it is walk-able if you wish to.

A fun practice area and field archery course will be available throughout, and with the longer time period people may have more time to make a bow, arrows, atlatl and darts or take part in other activities they are interested in. So far we don't have anyone offering a bow making course but it is expected that informal self help groups will spontaneously gather. Judging by the numbers involved in last years log splitting there will be no shortage of input! We may well have a professional knife maker offering lessons/course though!

We are hoping that we will have some stalls though sellers have also expressed an interest in taking part more this year.

Activities we will be setting up for include archery, atlatl, bow and arrow making, primitive fire making, slinging, a safe area for knife and hawk throwing. Really, if you want to make something or do something bring it along.

We have some volunteers who will be providing some catering facilities though we need to sort out whether this will be for the whole event or just the weekend.

I've taken on the role of organiser this year, though to be honest I've got a bit behind myself and have some serious catching up to do if I'm to do Walter Robson's previous events justice. I can be contacted via markdesignhill@aol.com

I'll post more information as things become clearer.

Regards,

Mark Hill
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:04:44 pm by Calendargirl »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: UK Primitive Gathering, 23rd to 28th May 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:21:55 pm »
Sounds like a fun event, Mark. Thanks for posting this info. Wish I was closer so I could join in.  Will the beer tent be open the whole time?  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 02:16:39 pm »
Pat,

You questions puzzles me. Do beer tents ever close? :>)

Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 02:32:33 pm »
Mark, in America some folks think a beer tent is the devels workshop. That's why I was so surprised to hear a beer tent was part of European(or at least British) archery tournaments.  ;) To me they go together.
  Be sure to get some pics for us yanks.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 04:21:28 pm »
Pat,
Will certainly post some pics. Generally our primitive events don't have a beer tent as such, but a few beers go down well in the evening around the camp fire.
Some archery events do have a beer tent, but that can get so noisy you can't talk about bow stuff which isn't so good!
Mark

Offline danny f

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 05:34:26 pm »
this sounds great i hope i can get there, its my little lads birthday on the 24th so i will have to clear it with the dragon first oops,  i meant missus.  ;D

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:43:55 pm »
Mark would you please consider taking high resolution pics and writing an article for the magazine about this event?  I would really appreciate it.  If you are interested please send me a pm
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 06:27:16 pm »
PM sent - I hope!

Offline markinengland

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 12:44:51 pm »
PAAS Primitive Gathering 2013 Thursday 23rd May to Tuesday 28th May
Booking form now available. Please message me with your email address and I'll send you the form.
When? Thursday 23rd May to Tuesday 28th May inclusive, come as long or as short as suits you.
What? This year the emphasis is on a gathering to talk about, make and do primitive related stuff we are interested in, in good company. On Saturday 25th to Sunday May 26th – a fun and informal shoot will be available in which combined archery and atlatl scores will required. Small field target point only on atlatl darts please. Course, practice/fun area and other activities available each day. Some other activities such as slinging, hawk throwing etc will be available at your own risk so if you want to do it, bring it.
Where? Holmbush NFAS Club near Henfield, East Sussex
Facilities? PAAS thanks Holmbush for the use of their excellent course, camping field, splendid composting toilet, and tap.
Food? Great catering will be provided by Forest Knights again for Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday. For other days please bring your own food. Shops, off license and other facilities are available in the nearby village. Water is available on site.
How much? £5 camping fee per tent per night (goes to the Holmbush Landlord), £10 fee per day Sat and Sun (£5/day for those under 16) to cover costs, other days free (except for camping fee). For insurance purposes a £2 levy must be paid for none PAAS/SPTA members (name and address required).
Prizes? Last year we were able to offer a great raffle due in part to some generous donations as well as items we purchased ourselves. This year we would encourage all participants to bring a primitive , archery, atlatl etc item to donate to the raffle so that we can have some great prizes and put the proceeds toward future primitive gatherings.
Contact? Please message me for further information and the booking form