Author Topic: ERC flat, cable backing 34/28 (No. 29)  (Read 8883 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: ERC flat, cable backing 34#/28"
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 11:18:59 pm »
Nice one!

I have a hickory Sugpiaq style that has been sitting in the corner for a while, I have no idea how to start and run the cableing. Any tips you could send my way would be appreciated. I was thinking about using artificial sinew.
In my experiance, Artificial sinew is a PITA to make a cable out of cause its so slippery. you can't tie a knot in it.
Try nylon:) It works really, really well, and is MUCH cheaper.
for mason line, just wind from nock to nock 6 times(so 12 strands), carefully remove and whip the ends (serve it like a super thick bowstring)... if the back isn't too crowned just tie it into place a few times. If its really crowned... have fun.
Here are some links-
---http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1350173844
---http://www.primitiveways.com/cordage_backed_bow.html
Primitive ways tells how to do it, slinging . org simply talks about it.
I will take some pics once I am back from vacation.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 02:46:21 am »
Holy crap the workmanship on that bow is stunning. I love your new tips and the way you followed the conture of the wood... just wow. If I were a rich man, I would pay good money for that bow. Absolutely amazing! Truely a work of art...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 02:49:17 am »
Whoa!sweet save
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 01:41:44 am »
Wow, you sure know how to bring a bow along.  Beautiful naked back + needs tension help = cable backing.  Cable splits nock shoulder + horn = problem solved.   I love seeing these kind of bows.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 10:18:33 am »
Simson.  I love what you did here; that is a classy looking work of art.  I would love to know if you tillered this first, then cable backed it. 

Challenging stave.
beautiful wood.
great problem solving.
excellent bowyering.

keep em coming.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 03:23:43 pm »
Nice one!

I have a hickory Sugpiaq style that has been sitting in the corner for a while, I have no idea how to start and run the cableing. Any tips you could send my way would be appreciated. I was thinking about using artificial sinew.

I did a few dry runs on that bow, til it was easy to do the knots (I used soldier hitches). Look over to primitive ways, there is a good first info, then to Mason' drawings. I have no experience with nylon, I would not use artificial sinew.
For me Dacron is cheap, easy available and is waxed (easier to do bindings).
My tip: it is a must to prestretch that material! I did it exessevive!
Good luck on your try

Many thanks guys for your nice compliments!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline square shooter

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 01:51:28 am »
What a colorful bow Simson. And looks like it's no quick n easy model either! Are those tips called deer hoof tips?

Offline simson

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 09:43:20 am »
What a colorful bow Simson. And looks like it's no quick n easy model either! Are those tips called deer hoof tips?

Thanks shooter! Don't know if this design is so called. I just made it in that manner as I had to repair the tip and this is working for me.

I have done string bridges for the cable (8 pieces). Now the cable sits not more on the bow's back but is lifted in different heights (from 5 to 12mm). I also drilled the cable a few turns more. This caused an increase of drawweight about 7 lbs. Crazy: with the different bridge heights you can influence the tiller! Fun to play with that ....

here are three pics for you

Simon
Bavaria, Germany