Author Topic: New Ocean Spray, critique appreciated  (Read 3515 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: New Ocean Spray, critique appreciated
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 08:37:21 am »
  Are yo holding the bow to low or is the top limb surpose to be that long.
  If you want more weight make it wider and set up a tillering tree with a scale this way you can get the weight you want to  the lenth you want. In no time you'll be getting the weight you want right on.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 08:55:56 pm »

Here is the bow after some more scraping, is this a good tiller for a short bendy-handle? I didn't heat treat any more, to preserve the relative strength of the area that I already toasted, and the bow is down to about 34# at 26". Not too far from where I wanted it actually, I wasn't going for a hunting weapon, just a target bow for a lady-friend.  Steve, I'd love to see your OS bow!

Also, I have another piece of OS, a bit shorter (maybe 52" tip to tip after I trip off a crack), but much wider with a lower crown and some major reflex. Any opinions on how best to preserve this reflex? Is is possible to heat treat soon after floor tiller, before much of the original reflex has pulled out? Any good designs for a short reflexed stave?

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 09:27:26 pm »
Holy crap man! Yup ya got a nice bow there. You don't need much wider of a piece to make bigger weights. Just make them thicker and maybe longer if ya want.

Really nice bow ya made man, did it take much set?
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 09:32:17 pm »
If you really care about the tiller just take a few scrapes off the bottom limb from the midlimb to the tip. But if it shoots good you can leave it too
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 09:53:25 pm »
Thanks Zion! Hopefully my next bow will be 50-55#, so we will see. This one hasn't taken too much set so far, but I haven't shot it much. Maybe pulled back 100 times, has almost 2" after I unstring it, but less than an inch after it sits for a bit.