Author Topic: Attempt #2  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Mikeeeeeeeeee

Attempt #2
« on: March 18, 2013, 07:27:12 pm »
OK, after the first failure with a crack at a knot, I'm working up to doing it again.
I will leave the other staves from the original log to another time. All of them have knots.
I went to the backyard and cut a nice hickory and have a stave with no knots.
My stave is 60" long, 2" wide and about 1 1/8" thick. Nice and straight. Measurements are with the bark removed.
I want to build a D bow.
What I need is measurements for the basic shape, knowing that I only want 35-40 pounds of pull. I want to take it down to a blank and then let it dry on out.
Any assistance would be appreciated!

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Attempt #2
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 07:33:09 pm »
If you plan to quick dry Hickory, you would do well to clamp and strap it to something stiff, like a caul or a piece of angle iron while it dries.  It might still have checking issues, but at least it won't curl up into a warped loop.

OneBow

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:43:48 pm »
i strongly suggest 1.5 inches wide maybe a tiny bit less if you want, leave the belly flat for the sake of removing as much set as possible, you will probably only need to have it 3/4 inches thick at the fades to start, although you can go MUCH thinner as you get there, if its a high crowned stave then you could lightly round the belly.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Mikeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 08:34:54 pm »
I have it clamped to a bed rail. It will dry good. The last one did fine like that.

Offline Mikeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 08:37:47 pm »
i strongly suggest 1.5 inches wide maybe a tiny bit less if you want, leave the belly flat for the sake of removing as much set as possible, you will probably only need to have it 3/4 inches thick at the fades to start, although you can go MUCH thinner as you get there, if its a high crowned stave then you could lightly round the belly.

How about the width of the tips?
And, getting from fades to tips, straight shot, or wide to almost the tips?

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 08:42:07 pm »
How about a D shaped belly? i heared that works well with hickory. BD
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 09:06:00 pm »
Where did you hear that? We hear all kinds of things, but I try to validate the reliability all the time.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:08:49 am by DarkSoul »
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286