Author Topic: hides  (Read 5800 times)

Offline butch

hides
« on: October 30, 2007, 06:59:08 pm »
how do i start turning 3 hides into rawhide to back my bows.have them soaking in water now. thanks  butch

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hides
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 07:45:36 pm »
Butch, I have never done it but basically you want to remove the hair maybe by adding wood ashes(lye) to the soak water until the hair slips. Remove the hair and tack it out to dry. When dry, it is rawhide. I'm sure others will have better explanations. ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline butch

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:51:39 pm »
thaqnks pat. we heat with oak so ill go throw a bucket full into the tub. or should i remove tissuie first.    butch

Hartung

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:05:42 pm »
I suppose you are talking about deer skins. If so and if you have 3 hides in the tube, put 5 buckets of your ashes in the tube. No need to remove the hides beforehand. Make sure to well stir the water afterwards. For the next few days check morning and evening if the hair is slipping.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:29:28 pm »
butch your woman must be one special lady.  hides in the tub, mine would at least scowl at me >:D ;D
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

jamie

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 08:31:24 pm »
if you have a stream nearby just tie the hides off and let them soak in the stream. after a few days the hair will slip. be careful not to leave the hides in still water. like buckets or tubs that dont have ash in them, just water. bacteria will develope that will destroy hide and is hazardous to your health

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 09:05:36 pm »
All you have to do to make rawhide, like everybody said, is to remove all flesh from the flesh side and hair from the hair side. I like to stretch hides and dry scrape 'em, the soaking in ashes and scraping wet works well, too. Be sure to rinse them really good in clean water after scraping to get rid of the alkilinity from the ash.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 10:21:20 pm »
  Also,like Jaime said,I wouldn't leave it in the bucket more than 3 days.If you do;  you might find a bucket of goo. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 12:10:40 am »
Drano - I heard about using crystal drano on here and tried it. It worked like a charm, though not very primitive. I also think if you mix it a little too stout it burns the hide somehow, you'll have white patches and other parts that are transluscent. Gonna give the ashes or maybe dry scrape a try next time for comparison.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 08:44:37 am »
If ya wanna try the dry method I recoomend looking at  ferretsarcherywebpage@groups.msn.com Hes got an excellent pictorial on raw hide and more. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 01:36:38 pm »
I think you meant this one Auggie.   http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/makingrawhideforbacking.msnw
That one was his email. ;D  BTW how you doing now days.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 06:37:52 pm »
Eeyup,thats what I meant to put,Justin thanks for the correct web address. Doing good, cut a bunch of multi flora for arras today,also talked to a ground hog who said I couldnt stick an arra in him,so tomarrow Im gonna prove him wrong and stretch his hide.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 07:07:22 pm »
Eeyup,thats what I meant to put,Justin thanks for the correct web address. Doing good, cut a bunch of multi flora for arras today,also talked to a ground hog who said I couldnt stick an arra in him,so tomarrow Im gonna prove him wrong and stretch his hide.
It really doesn't matter how many times he is right, as long as he is wrong once you win.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah