Author Topic: Long String Tillering  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Badger

Long String Tillering
« on: October 31, 2007, 01:14:08 pm »
     This subject comes up from time to time. I have gradualy swithched over to long string tillering where in the past I seldom ever used it. One thing I have found is that when long string tillering a bow the weight reading I get are about the same as they would be if the bow were braced. The tiller is not always the same, the tips tend to bend morte when braced than they do on the long string so I tend to keep them on the stiffer side and get a more accurate assesment of them floor tillering the bow. By long string I mean a string just long enough to slip over the bow without bending the bow. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Long String Tillering
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 01:21:02 pm »
Steve, When I long string tiller it is only until I can low brace the bow about 4". After that I use a short string. Once I'm sure everything is lined up well and both limbs are close in bend and bending together its time to start reducing the weight.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 01:28:21 pm »
      One thing I have found in the last year or so is that a tremendous amount of damage can be incurred on the bow early in the tillering process before the bow is even braced. I have been taking my bows out to about 24" on the long string at full draw weight before my first brace and getting a little better results than with bows that have been braced too soon. Not saying bracing early is bad if the bow is even and not too strong. I try not to brace the bow when it is more than about 10 pounds heavy anymore, I used to brace them about 20# heavy. Steve

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »
I try not to brace the bow when it is more than about 10 pounds heavy anymore, I used to brace them about 20# heavy. Steve

Steve, I'm not sure what you mean in the above statement...are you referring to 10# over desired draw weight or what? :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 03:17:04 pm »
greg, yes about 10# over the finished draw weight. Say if I am looking for a 50# bow at 28" I will brace the bow when it is about 50# at 24" draw weight. little more than 10# I guess. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 03:56:02 pm »
Steve, I can see where that would put less strain on a bow. Bracing can be pretty strenuous on un-exercised limbs.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 10:05:10 pm »
As you know, Badger, I long string out to 10 inches of string movement. If the limbs are bending well and the scale reads target or 5# over  I string it.  I have found that at that distance the stave is 10# over final, potential target weight. Perfect. The stave incurs very little damage when strung for the first time that way. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!