Author Topic: An introduction.  (Read 12762 times)

Offline Aries

Re: An introduction.
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 12:29:27 am »
When  First started making bows a when i first started making bows a few years ago when i was 14/15 I i would cut down elm trees off the neighbors woods across from mine and carried them on my back almost a mile... dumb me, stubborn bowyer :). At his point i would suggest starting your first bows with kiln dried wood( boards from lows etc.) they are the easyest way to start your path as a bowyer, maby a little less adventurous :)   good luck Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Slaughter

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 08:32:01 pm »
Thanx Ty,
I will be starting with a board bow while I dry a few staves .
any other advice before I truly get started?? Ill try to keep this updated as I go along but it may be a few daysor even weeks in between posts. I live in a primitive cabin I am building myself from recycled barnwood and have only a generator and 12v power.Lots of work to be done and lots of time off the puter depending on work and gas prices these days ;D

Offline Aries

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 11:38:26 pm »
if you are workin on a board bow, keep it wide and it definately wouldnt hurt to back it, anything fairly tuff will work. I actually backed one of my earlier bows with denim from an old pair of pants. And on a few i backed with some mossy oak camo that i cut off the slieve of an unused garage sail purchase :),the latter turned out looking pretty good and serves fairly well covering up that bright orange if you are gonna be huntin with them.  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow