Author Topic: Anybody use Southern Magnolia for bow wood??  (Read 7680 times)

Offline StickMan47

Anybody use Southern Magnolia for bow wood??
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:25:20 pm »
Hi Guys. I was out yesterday riding down a logging road and came across some Magnolia trees that the timber company left on the ground. They are still green, been down maybe a month tops. I was just wondering if anyone on here has attempted making a bow out of this wood? I hauled 3 pieces of this stuff out and brought it home. I haven't split it into staves yet. The logs are from 4 to 6 inches around.

So do I go ahead and split them or save em for a different project? I looked up the SG in the TBB and all it said as for making bows was that it is diffuse porous and has a .48 SG. I know it isn't the best choice for a bow but hey it was free!

Sure wish the Osage staves I have were seasoned and ready to go.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline Marks

Re: Anybody use Southern Magnolia for bow wood??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:28:56 pm »
I don't know but I have another magnolia you can have it you come cut it down. I may even help you cut it.  >:D

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 03:44:01 pm »
I've been curious about this as well.  Try it!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 04:17:04 pm »
Magnolia in generally a soft, weak wood as far as bow woods go. It would probably make good arrows though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:13:11 am »
Thanks Pat. That is what I was afraid of. I reckon I'll use em for somethin else. Too bad there ain't no Osage growin round here. Although I did come across a Black Cherry sapling growing in the woods behind the house here. It's got 3 good sized pieces growing outta the ground (about 2 1/2 inches around) that I'm seein a couple of potential bows in.

Marks, I appreciate the offer on your tree but I need to find some good bow wood. I have heard that magnolia makes a beautiful wood for woodworking. I got lots of woodworking wood piled up in the shed though.

Guess I'll keep lookin!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:20:00 pm »
what color is it?  It may make some nice fishing spools?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:37:39 pm »
Stickman, can you really believe a guy with almost 20000 posts?  >:D  C'mon, you should try to make a bow out of it i nthe name of science!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 04:17:38 pm »
Prarie, I never thought about making a fishing spool out of it. Thats a good idea though I'm not sure if I got all the tools for a project like that. Magnolia wood is real white, and having never worked with it I can't explain the grain pattern. My Dad does a lot of woodworking and he is the one who told me it is a pretty wood. But he don't make bows! lol.

Tim, yea you are right! Why should I listen to somebody who has made that many bows and bows of exceptional beauty at that! Just kidding Pat. I'm pretty hard headed but your advice is always welcomed. I may just see what I can do with one of them. Like you said "in the name of science". But I'm sure a true bowyer could do it more justice than me. I started an eastern red cedar bow that I haven't quite finished tillering yet. It is a beautiful piece of wood, imo, and is super knotty. I wish it was better for making bows with. I got 3 Osage staves that I can hardly wait to season so I can start on them!

Thanks again for all ya'lls advice. I know I don't post much on here but I reckon as I get more wood under my belt.... dang that didn't come out right at all....  ???   ..... as I build more bows I reckon I'll feel better bout givin advice.

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 05:27:16 pm »
I have a lot of southern magnolia growing in the woods where i'm at too. They're beautiful trees :) i'll let them stay that way. Lots of tuliptree too, i have some small logs of that. I cut down a small tree thinking it was maple (the leaves sorta look alike, same with sweetgum) till i looked at a budding leaf and was like, wait that's got four points that's not red maple x_x I think tuliptree is in the magnolia family?  Though the lumber is sometimes sold as "poplar" Anyone try to make a bow from that? Or arrows? I would think it could make arrows if the grain was straight enough.
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 07:36:25 pm »
Yes, 'yellow poplar' or tuliptree (Liriodendron tulipifera) is in the magnolia family Magnoliaceae. It's probably the only member of this family with commercial wood? Not a particularly useful family, as far as the wood goes. Soft and pretty weak woods. There's soooo many better alternative bowwoods, that I wouldn't waste my time on any of its members...
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 11:42:09 pm »
Tulip poplar will make great arrows. I have some I got from Stringstretcher that he doweled last year.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 12:09:35 am »
Stickman I would go ahead and use tht magnolia to attempt a bow it would be a fun chellenge who cares if no one else has used it I would just try it
I like osage

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 02:03:37 am »
We had one that died a couple years back. When I cut it up the wood seemed spongy.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Marks

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:48 am »
Magnolia cuts like butter with a chainsaw. My Magnolias are cut high enough to mow under them and they are a pain in the rear. In the fall they drop those big seed pods thingamajigers and are a pain to mow over. In the spring when your yard is good and pretty they decide to drop old leaves. I love em if they are grown down to the ground though.