Author Topic: Latest batch of arrows  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Shiloh

Latest batch of arrows
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:21:13 pm »
Just threw these together today when I had some free time. They're POC shafts, with 145 gr. field tips and my janky hand-cut fletchings, since I'm too poor/lazy to buy pre-cut fletchings.  :laugh: The field tips are roughly the same weight as the broadheads I plan on using this fall to hunt blacktail, so I guess these could be considered "training" arrows.

Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Latest batch of arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:30:36 pm »
You should wrap right below the nock with thread or something. I have problems with splitting ceder arrows(both ERC and POC) with bows over #50
Looks good! let us know how they fly!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:08:14 am »
Orient the grain of the arrow 90 degrees to the nock and you wont have that problem...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 12:11:37 am »
I'd definately add a wrap below the nock no matter which way the grain is runing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 12:15:15 am »
That for sure is the safest thing. I should rephrase and say you are less likely to have that problem...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 12:48:15 pm »
for handcutting those fletchings they are done very well!

yep, besides wrapping you might want to clean out the cut in the self nock jest a little more too, make it as smooth as you can,
every bit helps to keep the string from wearing and the release to be the smoothest it can be! might even put some TB11 or TB111 in the nock
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 05:32:28 pm »
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll probably end up wrapping the tips and end of the fletchings with some string serving.
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll probably end up wrapping the tips and end of the fletchings with some string serving.
use thread or artificial sinew, they are cheaper and thinner. just coat in glue;)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"