Author Topic: Turkey hunting  (Read 1313 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Turkey hunting
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:02:07 am »
The season starts tomorrow. What's the best type of call to locate them with during the day? And then what brings them in? It's been too many years since I have been.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: Turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:39:45 am »
Owl hoot before dawn, try to get them gobbling on the roost.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 03:12:18 pm »
You can also find them on roost the night before, right before dark with an owl call. Or sometimes they'll answer and gobble back to a turkey call at night. I'm getting ready to make some turkey pot calls, after I finish my red oak trade bow. I'll post some pics if your interested. Usually they don't talk very much after late morning, but that's way up here in my neck of the woods. May be different down your way. Good luck Cipriano!!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 04:28:10 pm »
Some things I have been able to get a gobbler to shock gobble include slamming a car door, bellering YEEEEHAAAAWWWWW! at the top of my lungs, banging a pot lid with a stick, a cell phone ringing, and a buddy claims he got one to gobble when he cut a particularly wet fart. 

By it's very name, anything that is a little "shocking" will get an answer.  They famously blow it out when a thunderstorm is brewing up on the horizon and the thunder rolls.  Just don't do a lot of it. 

For purchased calls, crow calls, coyote imatators, and peacock calls are pretty reliable.  Call for a gobble.  Move sideways 20 yds, call again.  Triangulate and shut the heck up!  I've had guys come marching thru the woods like a trombone player in a marching band hooting on a locator call.  All the while I had to listen to the particular gobbler walking awa just as fast as the idiot was approaching. 

Save your money and google "barred owl call" and rehearse it until you got it down pat.  It's not that hard to get the rhythm down. Don't matter if you don't have barred owls in your area, it's genetically imprinted into them to answer.  We have great horned owls and gobblers ignore them. 

As for calling them in after locating, I use home made slate calls, box calls, wingbone suction calls, and my voice.  Once they are close, I drop everything and just use my voice to duplicate the purrs, churrs, pops, and little giggles they make when feeding.  Sometimes a gobbler gets really peeved when that hot hen that was so very responsive now decides she is more interested in feeding than breeding!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 04:42:44 pm »
A few years back I hunted a gobbler that would let loose on the roost every morning when a guy down in the valley fired up his truck that needed a muffler, to go to work!
I've also made them gobble on the roost by whistling really loud.

Kevin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 04:52:52 pm »
There you are in the dark, having quietly inserted yourself close to the roost well before sunrise.  The hens are starting to wake up and give a few low and soft tree yelps.  The gobbler cuts loose with a operatic gobble that sends shivers up your spine and sets your hair on end!  You break out your calls and while he is still in the tree he answers every kind of call you throw at him including your child's See-N-Say..."The turkey says...gobble gobble gobble!"  I tell you, it's all over but the cryin'!

And then the moment of truth comes and he pitches down outa the tree and the ground shakes on impact.  He shuts up and answers nothing as he steadfastly marches away from you like a Marine Corps squad on the double.  There you sit without consolation.  A single tear tracks down your cheek.  Yup, now it's over, all right.

The cow says...mooooo.

The chicken says....cluck cluck.

The sheep says....baaaaa  baaaaa.

The hunter says....waaah, sob, bwaaaah!

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 04:57:30 pm »
JW,
You been peekin round a tree at me?
I never cry in public...or so I thought. :'(

Kevin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 05:05:50 pm »
Why do we allow ourselves to be outwitted by an animal with a brain the size and shape of a shelled pecan?

Same reason we don't shoot wheelies and push a shopping cart around the frozen food aisle in camo!

Cip, bring Diego up here next spring and we'll get you a couple of Black Hills Merriams...or lose sleep trying!