Author Topic: how many use vanes  (Read 4675 times)

Offline bubby

Re: how many use vanes
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 01:29:57 am »
I've got a guy that owns an archery shop here, shoots nothing but 4 fletch with his Shults longbow, don't have to think about a cock feather that way
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 04:42:32 am »
You can apply the same logic with a two fletch as well Bubby, but I am in the camp of the fact that a cock feather is useless on a properly tuned arrow, and not needed. I firmly think the fletching paradoxes around the handle and never hit, and if the so hit, it will not affect performance.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 09:33:31 am »
  You can't shoot plic. vanes off hand or shelf.
  I'm sure there's ponds,lakes or parks where your at. Geese molt in JUNE take some walks. I'm sure someone on here will help you out or point you in the right direction. Get on a turkey hunting form I sure someone will save or sell you there wings cheap. I use to get 100's from goose out fitters. As well as from (white and hypert turkey farms. As well as picks ups from turkey roost.
   Start turkey hunting yourself shooting and useing your own feathers has always been I've trived to do. And it's nice.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 06:25:39 pm »
Some guys buy em @ the art/hobby store.  Craft feathers I think they call them.  Check out the illegal feathers thread on this page.  There is a guy in there that gives some info on that.

I've always heard that vanes jump off a hand or riser.  When I've bought them in the past, I buy one 100 count bag of full lengths and that lasts a while.  Keep your options open, 300 feathers is quite alot, you don't want to be passing them on to your grandkids.  ;) dpg
2 feather fletching is easy, and you can get 2 arrows per feather with the shorter arrows and longer feathers... I use craft store ones.
I do prefer natural feathers...
Try going to a turkey farm, they will either give you feathers or they are CHEAP.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 07:32:27 pm »
You can apply the same logic with a two fletch as well Bubby, but I am in the camp of the fact that a cock feather is useless on a properly tuned arrow, and not needed. I firmly think the fletching paradoxes around the handle and never hit, and if the so hit, it will not affect performance.

I agree sleek, two feather fletch shoot the same for me as three, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 04:39:48 pm »
Also, you can shoot vanes off your hand. I do.
I have some 30 inch carbon fiber arrows I got for christmas, and they have vanes. I wear the vanes out, yes.... but it takes a long time.
when the vanes wear out, I replace them with craft-store feathers...
I have found no difference between 2 fletch and 3 fletch arrows, except 2 fletch is much cheaper and easier. you can get up to 2 arrows per feather.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 09:18:11 pm »
I won't use vanes and always use three feathers, but...when I lose one feather while shooting, I keep shooting that arrow and it flies just fine with two. Think of the V tail on a Beechcraft Bonanza. They fly fine two.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 10:32:37 pm »
I won't use vanes and always use three feathers, but...when I lose one feather while shooting, I keep shooting that arrow and it flies just fine with two. Think of the V tail on a Beechcraft Bonanza. They fly fine two.

Jim Davis

Funny, early planes called the control stick a "tiller".   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 03:06:22 am »
Arrows and atlatls are the first objects made by man that flew...

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 10:35:16 am »
Also, you can shoot vanes off your hand. I do.
I have some 30 inch carbon fiber arrows I got for christmas, and they have vanes. I wear the vanes out, yes.... but it takes a long time.
when the vanes wear out, I replace them with craft-store feathers...
I have found no difference between 2 fletch and 3 fletch arrows, except 2 fletch is much cheaper and easier. you can get up to 2 arrows per feather.

I want to see a video of you shooting those vanes off your hand 50 times in a row, and show us that your hand isn't sliced to pieces. I once tried to shoot vanes off my hand and I have the scars to prove it.

Jon

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 11:54:27 am »
5.50 shield cut turkey feathers. Hoping to get a gobbler here in pennsylvania so I can use wild turkey feathers.

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 01:18:54 pm »
I have certainly lost my fair share of blood from shooting vanes off the hand.

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 07:26:39 pm »
Arrows and atlatls are the first objects made by man that flew...
Wrong, my friend. Slingstones and hand-thrown spears...

Offline sleek

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 08:34:56 pm »
Rocks don't fly.... ever hear the expression, flies like a rock? Spears a case could be made for... maybe.