Author Topic: 56" sinew backed osage static recurve...the beginnings!  (Read 74785 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: 56" sinew backed osage static recurve...the beginnings!
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 10:05:32 am »
Love seein you work the yella wood, Pat! :)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 11:36:38 am »
You mentioned that u did use oil during the bending process...curious how you plan on degreasing it before sinew?
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 03:24:05 pm »
I tried degreasing with acetone once and the job failed.  I've read oven cleaner does the job.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 08:55:31 pm »
Here she is out of the form. With her tips on the table she measured 5 3/8" from handle to the table. 

Seminole, I will wash it good with Dawn dish soap(original blue) and rinse it with boiling water. I'll do this just before I add the sinew. It worked very well for me on my last sinew backed bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline EricWard

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 09:18:12 pm »
Dang pat that's looking good I followed your advise on the dawn rinse after using oil and had good results with sinew

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 11:38:07 pm »
I'll have her with me at the Classic, not ready to shoot though.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 05:32:44 pm »
I did a little more today. I chased the back ring to the next one down because it is a lot thicker ring and now I don't have to worry about the oil I used to bend the curves when I add the sinew. I will still wash the back good with Dawn and rinse with boiling water just before adding the sinew.   Also I worked on lining up one of the tips. The other seems to be OK for now.
  You will probably see some of the splintered and cracks where I bent the wood. They were filled with super glue and after cleaning up the belly side of the curves and heating it some to line up the tips they still seem to be sound. I will definately put on an underlay so these shouldn't be a worry after that. Here are a few pics of the tip being lined up...

...and this is the other limb tip. It is looking pretty good so I won't mess with it for m=now. I may need to adjust both curves later.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2013, 05:36:49 pm »
looking mighty good there Pat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 03:20:04 pm »
I finally got back in my shop today. I cut temporary string nocks in and checked the bend for the first time. One limb was a bit stiff  so I equaled both limbs a bit and began the tillering process. Here she is resting on the tiller tree...

...after a few scrapes and about 25 pulls to exercise the limbs I checked the bend...

...then some more scraping, paying particular attention to areras that aren't bending so well, a bit more exercising and a pull just a little farther...

I can still see some stiff areas and that both limbs aren't bending together but I'm still on the long string. I need to reduce the weight quite a bit then I'll get her to low brace and check limb and tip alignment and a more accurate measurement of the weight. I'm guessing she's about 70# at the farthest pull on the long string but I won't know for sure until low brace.
  Anyway, here she is at rest after the work I did today. She still sitting pretty flat.

blackhawk

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 03:35:49 pm »
Geez...slow down ...take your time ;) ...lol :laugh:  looking good so far pat... 8) I imagine after sinew and after final tillering you'll end up looking right where your at right now or close there too ;) should be a smooth pulling lil ripper :D

Offline Josh B

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2013, 03:39:03 pm »
Lordy! Lordy!  Thems some serious recurves on that shorty!  That is shaping up pretty sweet Pat!  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 03:48:46 pm »
Thanks guys. I was so glad to finally get back into my shop I didn't want to over do it today. Chris, this is fast for me!  ;D  I'm shooting for 50# to 55#@26" after sinewing and final tiller. She will bent into the handle so I can feel her give at full draw.
  Matt Wirwicki suggested I get her to brace with both limbs bending evenly and together before adding the sinew so that is what I will do. I was going to tiller her all the way out first but he said by sinewing her at brace she would be less stressed and the cured out sinew would help the wood stress less as I tillered her out to full draw.
  More to come...

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2013, 05:06:01 pm »
Oooooooooooooo, looking beautiful!.... I always love your build alongs, I always learn like 10 different things... ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2013, 05:43:30 pm »
Thanks TMK. It felt great to get back in my shop. I'll post more pics as I progress. Stay tuned.......

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2013, 06:49:22 pm »
Really nice looking bow Pat,  I've always wanted to do a sinew backed recurve osage.  Please keep posting your progress I'm learning a bunch!
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking