Author Topic: Best medium for natural pigments  (Read 1437 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Best medium for natural pigments
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:11:35 am »
I bought some red ocher and red iron oxide along with a couple other oxide colors.  What have you guys had the best luck with as far as medium?  Iv heard eggs and maybe bear fat but just wanted some first hand opinions.  Also what did native americans use?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Best medium for natural pigments
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:29:53 am »
I have used Hide Glue.  Will need a sealer if you use Hide Glue.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline hatcha

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:07:06 pm »
I recently used coffee to put a colour on a dozen Douglas fir shafts.  Three "coats" allowing them to dry in between, gave them a nice golden colour, helping to bring the grain out.  I'll get a picture up when they're finished up and we find the lead for the camera...   :-\

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:50:44 pm »
For my bows or arrows I usually put a lil ocre with mixed with spit or water. Works in a pinch.
Forever making arrows!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:58:11 pm »
I think James Parker(Robustus) used prickly pear juice for the pigment on a Plains style horn how he built. You might contact him.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

witter

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 05:04:31 pm »
A good idea might also be to burnish your pieces after they are painted.  I just use a small amount of yellow glue in my pigments.  I also burnish all my items painted or not.  It closes the grain.

Offline anglobow

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:08:39 am »
Hide glue, shellac, eggs, boiled linseed oil if you want to stay natural. Otherwise you can buy clear acrylic binder at art supply stores.