Author Topic: bone points  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Kegan

bone points
« on: November 07, 2007, 08:26:13 pm »
Anybody know just how well a bone arrow head would work? I know Natives used them for warfare, and assuming you give it a 2.5:1 or 3:1 ratio, perhaps flake some serrations on the blades, would they work well on big game? Or could bone never come close to steel and stone ????

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: bone points
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:44:13 pm »
If you do a search you can find some pictures of bone points others have made and hardened.  I don't know if anybody has used them though.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:55:46 pm »
  Marc St Louis posted some pictures of some quite awhile back.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 11:08:36 pm »
A few guys on TradGang have taken deer with bone points.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 04:33:10 am »
they work, ive used em. i am more than positive that our fascination with stone points is because its all thats left behind for us to see. im sure in a lot of areas hardened wood and bone were used more. if i had to walk 100 miles to get flint or use what i had left over from the previous nights meal , id be saving my energy and smashing bones. ;)

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

These have held up against my target.  The bone was from a pet store.  I have read fresh bone from the flat side of the leg bones, oiled and heat treated should work best.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 08:35:40 pm »
Thanks guys! I was just wondering, it seems my crude stone points "break" really easily. Bone doesn't. I can also make them better, and just wanted to know if anybody had any experience with them. Thanks alot guys, it REALLY helped ;D. Guess I have to get to work :)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:46:18 am »
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing.  :)   Good to hear that they will work!
I hunt with my uncles and they already think I'm crazy, just wait until I pull out a bone pointed arrow!  ;D :D
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 11:51:42 am »
Just make sure to check your hunting regulations.  Some states explicitly prohibit the use of other than metal points.