Author Topic: unbacked erc character bow w/ whitetail horn nocks "Gerty"  (Read 20392 times)

Offline Josh B

unbacked erc character bow w/ whitetail horn nocks "Gerty"
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:03:35 am »
For some reason or another, I seem to struggle with character staves a lot more than I used to.  This one is 69" ntn drawing 45#@28"  I'm hoping its fairly close so I don't have to lose any more draw weight.  Any input is appreciated.  Josh
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:22:09 am by Gun Doc »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: character erc tiller check
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 12:22:19 am »
Josh, it looks pretty good. That right limb is difficult with the dogleg in the end. Try squinting your eyes when you have a hard time seeing good tiller. This eliminates the details and lets you see the the overall view of the bend.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:13:33 am »
That is a cool looking bow!  That right limb obviously was a challenge.  How does it feel when shooting?  It might be tough to give any advice by sight alone on that bow.  If it feel good when shooting that is what counts.  Nice work.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:16:36 am »
Looks pretty good to me.
I'm assuming the left is the lower limb? maybe it's a hint stiff inner 1/2 ? But looks pretty good to me.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:03:21 am »
You aren't far off!
The all important question is what does it feel like when it's shot???
If there is ANY handshock/vibration then something somewhere isn't bending properley. When you have perfect tiller a bow will feel like nothing has happened when you shoot it.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:59:48 am »
That's so dang close ...I can't say scrape here or there by that evidence alone...you put rawhide on that? I hope that babies backed

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 09:35:34 am »
Looks pretty good to me.
I'm assuming the left is the lower limb? maybe it's a hint stiff inner 1/2 ? But looks pretty good to me.
Del

+1
Draw this baby with eyes shut, concentrate which limb comes further to you - this is the stiffer
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 09:49:23 am »
Thats a tough one Josh. I struggle with those also so can't offer any advice but I have to say thats a cool looking bow and to me the
tiller looks right. Keep us posted on that one, I'm liking it.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 10:21:16 am »
Thanks for the help fellas!  I gotta go to work so this ones getting put up for a couple weeks until I get home again.  Its unbacked, so i don't want to push my luck with it by working on it under less than ideal conditions on the road.  Thanks again,  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 11:53:44 am »
I'm working on some horn nocks for this bow that are whitetail brow tines.  I haven't done this much and my first efforts were pretty sorry to say the least.  I used Del's how to and it helped a lot.  Thanks Del! If any of you elb masters have any suggestions on how to make these better it would be greatly appreciated. As you can see, I haven't filed in the string grooves yet so I can better make adjustments if need be.  Thanks,  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 11:58:07 am »
Looking good Josh.  That is one crazy bow.

BTW, you are almost out of fuel  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 12:27:43 pm »
Dont really believe that ya need tiller advise.....kinda like Michaelangelo askin if he's paintin good 8)   My monies on you bud!!!!
rich

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 12:37:51 pm »
i must say, some of these character bows i see look off in tiller, but then when you consider the unbraced profile it actually looks good.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 06:06:29 pm »
Dont really believe that ya need tiller advise.....kinda like Michaelangelo askin if he's paintin good 8)   My monies on you bud!!!!
rich

:)  X2
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 08:42:21 pm »
Looks very good to me.Nice job putting that one all together.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed