Author Topic: Design Suggestions Please . . .  (Read 1696 times)

Offline smoke

Design Suggestions Please . . .
« on: April 15, 2013, 09:28:26 am »
Folks, last week I was lucky to come upon a really nice Osage tree - just 4 inches in diameter but nice and straight. I cut the tree and then split it.  So, I've got 2 staves that are 68 inches long and very straight.   If you were going to make a pair of bows in the 60-70 pound range for hunting (drawn at 27 inches), what would you make?  Thanks!

Offline adb

Re: Design Suggestions Please . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:02:58 am »
With that length of stave, and for a hunting bow (not too long) I'd make a flatbow. However, I'd let those staves dry for a year or so, depending on where you live.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 10:10:37 am »
penobscot. I probably wouldn't be able to do it but I'd try haha
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:25:29 am »
I'd go for a 63 ntn recurve. Deflex at the handle to make it stable and lower limb stress for long stringing times.
Limbs 1 1/2 inch wide for 6 inches out of the fades. Then taper to 1 inch at the base of the recurves. Then to 3/8 ths at the nocks. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:57:05 am »
A straight limb bow maybe with the tips kicked a bit, 60" to 64", 1 3/8" to 1 1/2" at the fades and out 6" to 8" then tapering to 1/2" tips for now(reduce to 3/8" later). BUT! like adb said give both of these staves at least a year to season properly. You won't regret the wait. You can remove the bark and sapwood now but be sure to seal the back and ends well. I use shellac for this. You could even reduce both staves to floor tiller stage to help the seasoning process. If you do reduce both to floor tiller stage bind them together, back to back for a few months until the wood stabilizes. The will help prevent twisting and/or warping.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC