Author Topic: Started a bendy handled HBERC- It done blowed up :(  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Hamish

Re: Started a bendy handled HBERC- It done blowed up :(
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 10:28:01 pm »
I've had 2 narrow, 1" or less wide, Hickory backed bows blow up on me in the past couple of months. Both of them went at much smaller knots than yours. I even left a little extra wood on the edges in attempt to compensate for the pin knot. They still blew. The second one blew when I was stringing at first full brace height. Shards just missed my right eye, grazing my cheek.The main part of the same bow whacked me in the chin, splitting it open. Probably could've done with a few stitches, nice scar now. Heck I was too pretty before anyway.

Using clean straight hickory is virtually bulletproof, so I'm not going to use anything less than that from now on.
                       Hamish.

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 10:33:24 pm »
Yep, my first break. It would have been bow #15.

I think I'm going to try another one, just with clean knot free hickory this time :) Luckily this one blew on the tree and not in my hand... I hear too many scary stories about bow explosions.
>>>---------->

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 11:30:48 pm »
I feel for you man, I just had a hickory backed erc blow at full draw.
SW Utah

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 12:30:21 am »
I blew a bamboo backed ipe this weekend when a tip overlay slipped. Not quite as spectacular as that one, but it was at full draw.....