Author Topic: Caroline - Hickory longbow 70 pounds at 28 inches  (Read 4041 times)

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
Caroline - Hickory longbow 70 pounds at 28 inches
« on: April 21, 2013, 01:03:50 am »
So this is my first longbow with a 3 wood riser. top layer is mahogany, then black walnut, then the hickory forms the bottom layer of the riser and also the limbs. the limb tips are black walnut as well. the bow draw 70 pounds at 28 inches, and has less than an inch of set. will post a picture of the unstrung profile tomorrow. hope you like it! if theres anything not here that someone would like to know, i encourage you to please ask. also, she's 72 inches long. here's some pics:

My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Caroline - Hickory longbow 70 pounds at 28 inches
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:09:59 am »
Well, how fast does it shoot?
Nice bow! I love the riser. Its really cool.
 :)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 02:12:23 am »
shoots pretty fast for the draw weight :) if i had a chrony, i would clock it. another perk is that its quiet. once i get the arrow pass in and get my shafts waxed, it will be nearly dead silent :)
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:25:48 am »
shoots pretty fast for the draw weight :) if i had a chrony, i would clock it. another perk is that its quiet. once i get the arrow pass in and get my shafts waxed, it will be nearly dead silent :)
OOOohhh Nice! I have a 50 pound recurve that is incredibly loud.... its annoying when I shoot it.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 02:28:47 am »
try putting so calf suede or purse leather or even thick felt on the belly of the recurves, from the nock down for about 4 inches. a lot of the sound you hear with a recurve is the slap of the string against the recurve, and ive had great success deadening it with that. hope it helps!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:26:44 am »
Nice job on that one. Sweet bend!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 01:05:54 pm »
you say your first Longbow?? dang ...very nice ...thats a great accomplishment !
a couple suggestions...
on your next bow - round those edges a little more... any hard edges will get dinged and can raise splinters.
you might also cut your string notches down a little further from the tips.
any 70# bow is likely to be strung with a stringer ...for most of us anyway!  ;)

who was the one taking those picture of you aiming the arrow at 'em?   :)  obviously someone who trusts you?
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 03:42:47 pm »
hahaha thank you :) not my first longbow, but the first i have done with a riser like that :) sorry for the confusion, and thank you for the tips!

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 06:05:07 pm »
hahaha yes thats true about the stringer, too. i'll have to take that into consideration on the next one! :)

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 12:43:46 pm »
thank you, lesken :)