Author Topic: plant id?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

plant id?
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:36:07 am »
Here are two plants that are abundant around here and not sure what they are or if they are edible or have medicinal value. I have found some wood sorrel and wild garlic so far this year and they are great for flavoring some fresh caught trout.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline mcginnis6010

Re: plant id?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:37:30 am »
The 2nd plant

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:10:23 pm »
to me - keep in mind I am more familiar with California Plants. The first looks like a primrose rosette before the flower stem forms and the second looks like plantain leaves.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:16:58 pm »
Are the leaves in the first one real fuzzy?  Looks like mullin to me.I agree w/ Ben on the second one. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 05:21:45 pm »
Yea the first plant is really fuzzy I thought it might be Mullen but wasnt 100% sure. Same with the second plant thought it might be plantain its been awhile since I've actually went looking for them.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:58:47 pm »
The top one is Mullin. I have read the stalks are good for fire starting. I think it has medicinal uses, but not sure. They say settlers and American Indians would use dried leaves in their moccasins for insulation.

The bottom one looks like some sort of plantain. If it sends up little seed heads sort of shaped like tiny cat tails, that's it. I think they might be edible when young, but don't go by that without verification. My memory of the uses isn't so great.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:03:39 pm by Dalton Knapper »

Offline lake flyer

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:31:20 pm »
Top one looks like curly dock or burdock. The bottom one looks like marestail.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:38:20 am »
The first one looks like what we call skunk cabbage, the second one is dandelion. Plantain has almost round leaves that look like a dogwood leaf, only dark green.

Plantain was brought to the US by German immigrants as a food source.  If you crush the leaves and apply the juice to poison ivy rash it will clear it up, at least it works for me. I have some in my yard.

Plantain;

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:42:28 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:54:08 am »
Sorry, but that ain't dandelion.  Dandelion has "teeth" on the edges of the leaves, hence the name, means like the teeth of a lion.  It was brought over from Europe too, and so was mullen, so I'm not so sure about the native Americans using mullen for moc liners.  dpg

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 12:16:58 pm »
Well I know for a fact that the first one is NOT a skunk cabbage. And the second is NOT a dandelion I go and forage for dandelion greens on a weekly basis.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 12:34:51 pm »
Ok -
The first is probably mullein - although ours doesn't have the wavy leaves so I will try to find some time to take a picture of a rosette.

@Eric - there are two types of plantain. the broad leaved one you showed and the linear leaved one as posted on this thread. I have heard that both are edible but have tried neither.

Wooly mullein is an exotic import and in Yosemite we spend a lot of time pulling it out of the landscape. It has numerous medical uses and was quickly adopted by many Native folk for those uses. I have never heard of its use as a moc liner. I have heard of grasses being used in the winter for insulation.

Offline Patches

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 03:17:15 pm »
I agree that the first is mullein and the second is lance leaf plantain.  One bit of advice on the mullein...even though it looks nice and soft, do not use it as emergency tp in the woods.  That fuzz comes off the leaf and makes life very itchy and miserable after using it!   :-[  I learned that the hard way when I was a kid.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 03:47:31 pm »
That's funny Patches.  :o

I've found mullein w/ real big flower stalks and made walking sticks out of them.  It's not as strong as wood, but strong enough, but what it is is really really light and easy to carry.  It is supposed to be good for lung problems, either smoked  ??? or made into a tea.  The flower head, I've heard, were dipped in wax and used for a torch in the old days, I've never tried that though.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 04:25:35 pm »
First one is definitely Mullein and the second looks like some kind of narrow leaf plantain.

I've heard Plantain can be chewed and applied to burns to soothe them but I haven't gotten a chance to try them. Its also edible but, like most leafy wild edibles, its not that good but is better steamed and with some olive oil and pepper.  :)

And if you just Google Mullein, you'll find it has a lot of medicinal applications.

Good to know about that TP thing. I've even heard it called 'Woodsman's Charmin'. I guess that's an armchair survivalist thing. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 07:07:32 pm »
Mullien stalks after being cut an dried make good hand drill spindles for primitive firestarting, got my first hand drill coal with a mullien spindle, can't remeber the hearth board.  Bob