Author Topic: Congratulations to simson for winning March Self BOM!!!!  (Read 7534 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Congratulations to simson for winning March Self BOM!!!!
« on: April 13, 2013, 04:52:42 pm »
Congratulations to simson for winning March BOM contest with his golden chain tree take down 53#/28"!!!!
Here is the link to his build: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,38380.0.html

Here is what simson had to say about his bow and his build: This bow is made of billets, which are split out of an 40" and 3" diameter sapling. You sure know, golden chain tree has a wonderful contrast of heart and sap wood. So I decided to leave at least on tips and fade area a natural grown overlay of sap on the bow. Unfortunately the next ten or so rings just below the the sap were rather thin and very spongy because of the high ratio of early wood - I had to work down to the good rings.This is the reason for the relative high overlays and the high crowned limbs (back side of limb only about 1" away of pith center). Because of the high crown I decided next to try a hollow limb design again, in this case excessive. The limbs are only two rings thick, but heavily crowned / hollowed out. The back side has cured to a darker color than the belly and sides - it was laying around for months, belly and sides shows the fresh lighter color because of tillering. After a few further month the color of the heart wood will be a chocolate brown.  This is my first try on a take down. It is done with self made take down sleeves, which came out a bit too bulky for my taste. Next time I will try some smaller diameter pipes.  The billets were too small to fill the the depth of the sleeves, so i glued on some leftover pieces from this stave.  The lower limb looks a bit weird just below fade, but the bow is well balanced and shoots very good. I'm absolute surprised.  This bow pulls so smooth and is incredible fast - I don't know is it the extreme design or the bow wood. I will search for a small diameter osage and try the same design - then we will see ... 

specs:  65,5" ntn, 5" braceheight, 53# / 28", stingray leather inlayed as arrowpass, string: 6 strands of 452X strengthened at the ears..enjoy ...  simson

Here is what some forum members had to say about his bow:
Now that is totally amazing. I still can't figure out how you could even tiller that bow. What beautiful wood. That is one of a kind for sure. Thank you for sharing. Dean
Very special indeed very nice. Tell us more about the concave limbs please.  Stunner.   dwardo
Beautiful Simson! Love everything about it. Looks a lot like Black Locust. Those concave limbs are really influencing me. Got a couple I'm trying.  randman
Very nice Simson. The concave limb design is quite impressive. And the takedown system is nicely excecuted.  Gordon

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:33:07 pm by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Josh B

Re: Congratulations to simson for winning March Self BOM!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 07:19:30 pm »
Congratulations on another win! Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 08:57:16 pm »
Well done, Simon. Congratulations. 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 10:24:58 pm »
Without a doubt that is a special bow Simon, congrats.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 02:44:50 am »
Thanks you all for looking and voting.

btw., I wish there would be more bows to vote on and more guys to vote   --  like cipriano said more than 7000 membershere on PA
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 09:14:25 am »
Congratulations Simpson and a well deserved win.  Obviously you put some work into that bow and it shows.  Good on ya!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 11:42:04 am »
Congrats and great bow.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 04:53:06 pm »
A very well deserved win!  Beautiful bow, well done :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 09:48:32 am »
Beautiful bow,very nice job on that one. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 09:54:32 am »
Congrats Josh!
Very cool design and beautiful bow!!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin