Author Topic: Litttle Yew D bow  (Read 2438 times)

Offline AH

Litttle Yew D bow
« on: April 17, 2013, 11:58:41 pm »
 A while ago, one of my friends got interested in primitive/traditional archery decided that he wanted a yew bow. Rather than buying one, he bought a pacific yew stave from ravenbeak and brought it over to my shop, saying, " I want to make a bow." He wanted one that he could hunt with. He's a rifle hunter, but rapidly taking up (and getting addicted to) the stick and string.
the original stave was 69 inches, and we had set out trying to make an english-style bow. unfortunately a tip broke off, but we were able to salvage the rest of the stave, which was now about 62.5" (if I remember correctly.)
So we ditched the english bow idea and went on to make a D bow. I backed it with some silk, as I did'nt want to take chances with a stave that had already broken on me. there was one loose knot on the side of the  bottom limb which we excavated and filled. I gave it a green leather handle wrap, and also did a bit of artwork on the back. (I got my inspiration from totem poles). Jatoba tip overlays.
So, without further ado, here it is:
62" ntn
50 pounds at 26" (his draw legnth, which is the reason why I don't look like I'm drawing very far in the money shot--my draw is 29!)
I'm not 100% happy with the tiller, (but o well. It shoots hard and fast, and hardly any handshock.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Litttle Yew D bow
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 12:41:47 am »
I like that one heck of a lot!  Nice artwork, that PacNW stuff is really cool.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:58:35 am »
Cool bow and nice tiller.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline raghorns

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 01:15:46 am »
That's a winner! Nicely done.

Lyle
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 03:19:25 am »
Yep Yew done good ;)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 03:27:44 pm »
sweet bow, good story and nice artwork man, :)