Author Topic: Concealed handguns for teachers  (Read 27206 times)

Offline bow101

Re: Concealed handguns for teachers
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 04:32:51 pm »
Lots of good ideas here,guess I just think any adult that's not a criminal or crazy
should be able to carry, no matter where they are.  :) :) I never leave home without one,hope I never need it but if I do,It's there. bow101,not sure where you are coming from ??? :-\ but I don't want a King or Dictator,rather nothing get solved. :) :)
   Pappy

Kids have to be protected no doubt about it. Concealed handguns for teachers may be the way to go, after what happened. Other points brought up about school buses and other stuff, where do you draw the line.?
I was thinking along the lines of a Semi democratic system. If it gets to the vigilante type way, then what.? 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline sleek

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2013, 08:00:39 pm »
I have notticed that often times, criminals involved in shootings have prior gun convictions. The death penalty for all crimes involving firearms would sure reducee the number of repeat offenders. Just saying.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2013, 09:03:21 am »
I have notticed that often times, criminals involved in shootings have prior gun convictions. The death penalty for all crimes involving firearms would sure reducee the number of repeat offenders. Just saying.

That's an awful dangerous law in a country where having an improper magazine size is technically a criminal offense involving a firearm....

And typically in mass shootings there is no history of gun violence. There is usually a history of depression, and violent behaviour but very rarely is there actual gun violence in their history. But for the run of the mill criminal, there often is a lead up with lesser firearms offenses.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2013, 05:03:47 pm »
A bit earlier I attended the Dublin ISD board meeting. During public comments I spoke in support of staff having the right to carry concealed handguns. It's a an example of democracy in action. It truly saddens me that it's a topic we have to tackle, but it's a different world than my grandparents grew up in.

Ok,Heres the thing...

It really bothers me,to see so many people,use this term,to describe our system of Govt,today.WE DO NOT LIVE IN A DEMOCRACY.Democracy is a system of,the majority rules.We live in a Constitutional Republic,where our founders set up a system of laws and rights to govern and protect us,from intrusion by a  Govt and outside influence.These rights are being infringed upon,by the very people,these laws were givin to us to protect against,yet,they are being supported by citizens to help their agenda.Can you freaking believe this?

Just this morning,i saw a video,of a young man,conducting an experiment in Southern Ca.He actually got severall thousand signatures of citizens,in a matter of minutes,to abolish the 1st and 2nd Amendments.He opened his speal,by asking for support of President Obama.

Wake up people!!!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2013, 12:13:49 am »
A bit earlier I attended the Dublin ISD board meeting. During public comments I spoke in support of staff having the right to carry concealed handguns. It's a an example of democracy in action. It truly saddens me that it's a topic we have to tackle, but it's a different world than my grandparents grew up in.

Ok,Heres the thing...

It really bothers me,to see so many people,use this term,to describe our system of Govt,today.WE DO NOT LIVE IN A DEMOCRACY.Democracy is a system of,the majority rules.We live in a Constitutional Republic,where our founders set up a system of laws and rights to govern and protect us,from intrusion by a  Govt and outside influence.These rights are being infringed upon,by the very people,these laws were givin to us to protect against,yet,they are being supported by citizens to help their agenda.Can you freaking believe this?

Just this morning,i saw a video,of a young man,conducting an experiment in Southern Ca.He actually got severall thousand signatures of citizens,in a matter of minutes,to abolish the 1st and 2nd Amendments.He opened his speal,by asking for support of President Obama.

Wake up people!!!

democracy-- [ dih- mok -r uh -see ]
noun plural de·moc·ra·cies.
government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2013, 03:10:51 am »
One good reason we are bowyers and archers is that gun laws do not affect us.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline adb

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2013, 03:31:47 am »
I think it's a sad world when anyone thinks the solution to gun violence is to add more guns. I don't have a solution, and I own and use multiple guns, but I do know one thing... what's going on in the USA isn't working.

Offline yehti

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2013, 08:08:54 am »
The average active shooter incident lasts approximately 6 minutes.  A majority of the shooters turn their weapons on themselves when confronted by armed resistance. If an officer is not stationed at a school then chances are they will not arrive in time. I teach concealed carry here in NC as well as conduct firearms training for my department and most officers and private citizens don't have the necessary skills to shoot at someone and hit them without collateral damage (the same training as law enforcement training is not the be all end all when it comes to shooting skills).  As things stand, schools are a soft target and as such are vulnerable to individuals with a murderous intent. There is no quick fix to the current problem we face in schools, but putting someone armed in the schools until all aspects of this problem addressed is a start. And for those who believe that taking away weapons from private citizens is the answer, look up Bathe Michigan, worst death toll in US history and no one was shot.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision”.
--Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Offline johnston

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2013, 10:18:29 am »
If someone is truly willing to die (suicide by cop) they cannot be stopped before they hurt
or kill someone. Total safety is not possible.

There are too many variables in schools to have a one size fits all solution. Every idea I
come up with has holes in it.

Cipriano you did good.

Offline yehti

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2013, 12:24:24 pm »
I'm with you iowabow, the only reason I mentioned collateral damage is going through "law enforcement firearms training" isn't enough or going to the range once or twice a year.  Typically our training doesn't focus on firing in the chaos of a school, with children potentially running everywhere, while trying to take out just the "bad guy".  Accidentally shooting a couple of school kids just isn't acceptable while neutralizing the threat in anyones book.  I also agree with your statement about the teacher at VT (of course I think if you are an adult and have a ccw you should be able to carry almost anywhere including college) my general thoughts go to the k-12 kids that generally freeze because of lack of life experience and unfortunately make easier targets for these nuts.  I also can't help wonder what would have happened at VT if that instructor had been armed and would have been able to defend himself and his students instead of only being able to hold the door closed.  One thing is a definite though, we can no longer allow our schools to be soft targets.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision”.
--Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2013, 11:57:22 pm »
If someone is truly willing to die (suicide by cop) they cannot be stopped before they hurt
or kill someone. Total safety is not possible.

There are too many variables in schools to have a one size fits all solution. Every idea I
come up with has holes in it.

Cipriano you did good.

Maybe there should be a hotline, and cops can oblige!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DGF

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2013, 05:36:14 am »
One good reason we are bowyers and archers is that gun laws do not affect us.

All portions of the constitution affect all US citizens either directly or indirectly on many levels. I may never need a trial by jury, but couldn't imagine the chaos that would be without the right as given to me in the bill of rights. The same goes for the second amendment. I may never directly need a firearm, but couldn't imagine the abuses that could be without the right to keep and bear arms. Any time we look at any part of the constitution as dispensable it's a scary and slippery slope.

Allot of good ideas and conversation here fellas. I heard the term soft target used and think it's a great term to describe gun free zones. Much of the mass violence that happens, happens in areas where firearms are prohibited because they are perpetrated by cowards who know they will have some time till they are met with force. I feel if we reduce our vulnerability created by these 'gun free zones' many of these acts just wont happen. Those that do will be far less successful in their ability to do harm to others.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2013, 05:15:55 pm »
As long as teachers go through the same situational weapons training that law enforcement officers do (and maintain that training) then I have no issue with them carrying in school.  If not, then they have no business bringing a gun into a classroom.
Gordon

Offline adb

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 06:10:04 pm »
As long as teachers go through the same situational weapons training that law enforcement officers do (and maintain that training) then I have no issue with them carrying in school.  If not, then they have no business bringing a gun into a classroom.

I totally agree! Shooting a handgun accurately is hard. Shooting a handgun at someone is harder, and shooting a handgun at someone and hitting them under extreme stress is even harder. All you guys talking about acceptable collateral damage... would it be OK if that collateral damage was your child? Arming teachers is NOT the answer!!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 07:23:32 pm »
If my son died so that all of the other kids could live  then yes. My other son is in the military and is also ready to die so that you may live and your children. I do believe in a greater good.

With an untrained or undertrained teacher/shooter there is no guarantee that such "collateral damage" will yield a positive outcome for the greater good. In fact, it could just as easily make a situation much worse - such as when a responding police officer is now forced to sort out the good shooter(s) from the bad shooter(s) in a highly chaotic and stressful situation.

Carrying a gun for personal protection is one thing, but carrying a gun to ostensibly protect the public is entirely something else - if someone is going to assume that responsibility then they should get police training.
Gordon