Author Topic: Cooking the Coral.  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Parnell

Cooking the Coral.
« on: May 20, 2013, 02:38:44 pm »
So, I'm reading different things on cooking the coral.  What are some opinions on temperature - I'm seeing numbers anywhere from 400 to 600 degrees.  Eddie, I know you've said about 400 overnight and allow to cool.  You think that different coral types or colors require different temperatures?  That blue I got gonna be in the 400 range?

I've also been reading some about people saying that the coral should be degreased before cooking it.  Any opinions on this one?  Grease in the coral?  I'm raising an eyebrow on this one.  How's that work?  Does it make a difference in the cooking process to wash it out in detergent water real good before a couple times?
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Cooking the Coral.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 04:37:23 pm »
Steve,

I had mine at 430 dgs in the kiln yesterday. that blue and white coral does not take a lot of heat. I only soaked it from 12 noon yesterday and turned it off last night at 10:30. I'll take it out when I get home from work this afternoon.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:40:41 pm »
I just took it out and it is all good to go at that temperature, nice and glassy. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:02:40 am »
The grease or oil in coral comes from when you use a rock saw to cut it.Cook away
Venice Florida