Author Topic: Finishes?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline AH

Finishes?
« on: April 28, 2013, 01:20:46 am »
Just wondering what types of finishes do you guys like to use?
I've always used this sort of poly-based finish that the Construction crew left at our house after remodeling.
I've heard of people using Linseed oil, tung oil, polyurethane, deft, and True-oil. Isn't that for gunstocks?
How do you get that shine on the finish? Also, are there any primitive finishes (animal fats and oils, perhaps? Beeswax?)

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: Finishes?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 01:21:51 am »
I always use tru oil. It's alot of work though.
SW Utah

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 02:02:13 am »
Tru-oil
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:03:26 am »
Tru oil

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 02:22:42 am »
I have lately been using a pine pitch/lard/beeswax combo that I really like.

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 03:16:51 am »
I just posted how I do finishes on the removing scales on a snake skin thread. It is worth a look.  I have tried every finish you can dream of in twenty plus years and the one I have been using the last ten years is by far the easiest and most durable, it is also easily repairable which I think is critical in a hunting bow that sees hard use.  Tru oil would be my second choice but has several major draw backs.  It yellows with age, it is shiny, it tends to crack over snake skins and rawhide, it seems to scratch easily but it is easily repaired.  I built a bow for a guy who lived in Hoonah Alaska I choose to heat several coats of wax into the bow then I wiped I down with denatured alcohol then four light coats of tru oil.  I built that bow 12 years ago and it is still going strong with no refinishing in probably the wettest climate in the USA.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 07:14:46 am »
I now have a PVC dipping tube full of varnish which gives a nice shinning coat. Also works for arrows.  SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 08:20:03 am »
   WAX AND HEAT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline VicNova

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 09:43:41 am »
Deft is a nice finish and its cheap
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 11:57:54 am »
I use Tru-Oil with most bows and yes it is a gunstock finish but works well for bows. Tru-Oil dries with a high gloss shine. I prefer a matt finish so I do a quick spray of satin poly over the Tru-Oil.
 I have also used hand rubbed bear fat on a few bows with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 12:30:34 pm »
I rub mine with vegetable oil mixed with crushed pumice, for a flawless matte finish.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 03:21:09 pm »
Might consider switching over to mineral oil, Bryce. The Veg oil can turn rancid and even promote mould in the right conditions. Just a suggestion. I'd hate to see something like that happen to one of your fine bows.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 03:44:57 pm »
To clarify what Bryce was saying, he uses a tru oil finish and then buffs it with a mixture of vegetable oil and pumice to create a satin finish on the tru oil. No vegetable oil stays on the bow. Gordon shows the process in his hazelnut D bow build-a-long. I do it too, it's amazing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 03:59:51 pm by Weylin »

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 03:52:28 pm »
To clarify what Bryce was saying, he uses a tru oil finish and then buffs it with a mixture of vegetable oil and pumice to create a satin finish on the tru oil. No vegetable oil stays on the bow. Gordon shows the process in his hazelnut D bow build-a-long. I do it to, it's amazing.

Yes!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 06:15:02 pm »
I use shellac as a stand alone finish or topcoated with tung or linseed oil.  I use the dewaxed flakes and mix in alcohol as needed.   
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso