Author Topic: Osage or Hickory Stave  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Paul F

Osage or Hickory Stave
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:07:32 pm »
I will start this with an apology if this is in the wrong place or has been answered an I just could not find it.  If you have no wood at the moment and are looking to buy a bow stave for your first, would you frequent the forum or ebay to buy one.  I don't know the protocol of this and am just wondering.  Thank you very much for your reply in advance.

Paul F.
The first part of doing anything, is getting up off your ass.

Offline JonW

Re: Osage or Hickory Stave
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:19:01 pm »
If I couldn't cut my own I would trust the fellas on this site more than I would Ebay.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:24:02 pm »
If I couldn't cut my own I would trust the fellas on this site more than I would Ebay.
+1
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Paul F

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:46:16 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply.  While I do have some hickory that I will be able to cut, I won't be able to get in there to cut it for about another month ( on a friend's property).  So I am kinda chomping at the bit to get started.  Thanks again.

Paul F.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:40:59 am »
Always better to cut your own wood which I actually enjoy doing but I have bought a few Osage staves from eBay no complaint from me.
I like osage

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 05:29:49 am »
Boards from a local lumberyard are a better choice of wood to start with. Easier to lay-out, dry wood, you can pick the right board yourself and MUCH cheaper than a stave. For beginners, I would highly recommend a board that you can get locally. I never buy staves, but only buy boards. I get my staves myself.
That being said, I'm convinced both Ebay and this message board can both offer you very nice wood. But placing a bid, waiting for the wood to arrive by mail, and then just hoping the wood will be dry enough, all take more time than buying a board.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 07:46:01 am »
Where do you live at? Might be someone close,and there's a lot of generous folks around here that would probably give you a stave or two AND help you make a bow with it ;) ...and why not ask permission to cut wood from another friend/family member...saplings are good too and easy to snipe ;) and you can rough it down and get good practice,then while it dries go snipe another one and do it again, etc....nothing better than harvesting your own wood......

Offline NTProf

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 10:00:09 pm »
I agree with practicing on boards. When I first started making bows I spent a lot of money ordering a stave before I knew what I was doing. Was not skilled at tillering, produced a sub-standard bow that I never shot. Wasted of a lot of money and a good stave. I have made some bows out of staves (got one going right now) but I still prefer boards for bows.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:52:09 pm »
If you need to buy something I'd recommend pine hollow longbows
I like free stuff.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 11:13:35 pm »
A lot of guys don't trust eBay but eBay has been good to me ie bought many staves off it and I have no complaints
I like osage

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 11:22:22 pm »
I would grab me a handsaw and go fell the first thing I come across that looks remotely like a tree.  ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 01:02:42 am »
A hickory sapling bow is a darned fine way to get started.  If you can't wait any longer, try the trading post section of this forum.  They don't deal in cash, but there are lots of great guys to trade with on here that will send you a good stave.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline osagejack

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 09:26:01 am »
I personaly would not recommend starting a board bow,,i think they require more skill than stave,,pm me your address I will send u a stave to get u started either osage or hickory,,  or come to the tn classic I will give u a good save and help u make a bow with it  mike

Offline Paul F

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 10:06:17 am »
Thank you all very much for the reply's. 

Paul F.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 11:40:10 am »
A lot of guys don't trust eBay but eBay has been good to me ie bought many staves off it and I have no complaints

X2