Author Topic: Common Buckthorn vs Glossy Buckthorn?  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Common Buckthorn vs Glossy Buckthorn?
« on: May 09, 2013, 05:38:16 pm »
So the leaves just sprouted out here last week so I can finally start identifying some trees with a bit more confidence. I'd like to harvest a fair amount of different varieties of wood this summer, and I've come across buckthorn as a possible candidate. I've read that common buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica) makes a fine bow, but what about glossy buckthorn (Frangula alnus)?

They should both be in my area but I havn't set out looking for either specifically. Any tips on finding or identifying them?

Offline Dauntless

The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Common Buckthorn vs Glossy Buckthorn?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:15:55 pm »
When to the fruits start to appear for common buckthorn?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:18:42 pm »
Depends on where you live and the climate.
But I'm sure you can Google that. This is a forum dedicated to making wooden bows; not to plant ID.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:02:27 pm »
But I'm sure you can Google that. This is a forum dedicated to making wooden bows; not to plant ID.

Nothing wrong with asking for plant Id on this forum many people like to help out
I like osage

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:03:53 pm »

Trouble with Google is you don't always know that the information is legit. Especially in a field as tricky as plant ID. I know that the people here are competent, and that they have bow specific knowledge about many species.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:46:23 pm »
I had a tree that I cut ony place and tried to ID in on the computer and at the book store and could not find it , every time It said I had a type of olive but I'm in Oklahoma . I took a limb with the small fruit and leaves to the outdoors expo and the other members of our bow club could not ID it so I took it up to the booth that the wildlife dep. had set up for tree and plant ID and the instant I showed it to him he told me I had a chittam wood tree. Your local wildlife department might steer you in the right direction .

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:01:52 am »

That was kinda snotty and uncalled for.  Are you riding a grouch today.  Seems to me that id'ing the wood goes hand in hand with making a bow from it.  I'm not saying, I'm just saying.  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 12:14:22 am »
Especially harsh since Cody/Misslemaster has proven that buckthorn can make an incredible bow. 

I'm bookmarking this thread for myself since I was told we have buckthorn growing in the Black Hills and it is considered an invasive weed.  Who knows, maybe I can drum up some business doing buckthorn mitigation and stack some bow wood on the side!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NimRand

• USAF Retired (Displaced Michigander)
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 06:52:11 am »
Virginia Tech has really good tree ID site. It shows pictures of the bark, buds, fruits, leaves, and provides a pretty good description of the tree. It even allows us non latin speaking guys to put in the common name. The link is below.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/factsheets.cfm

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 10:25:20 am »
I have never worked glossy, only common(European) buckthorn. It grows like a weed here! 8) I would cut anything bow quality you find because glossy might just be the new osage! ::)  I know that when cutting R. cathartica I try to cut the ones wuth the least amount of spiral I can find. It would be nearly impossible to tell from the bark if a tree is spiraled however,  all buckthorns that I have cut have one or more flat sides to the trunk which if you look down the tree, will follow the long. grain.  Buckthorn is one of the most difficult woods to dry without checking so if you cut the trees in summer, debark them and gett some good coats of finish on the back and reduce them to just above bow dementions. do the same if cutting in winter. Hope this helps.

Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 01:28:37 pm »
This is common on the inside, best way to id is either wait until it flowers or split a stave and check colour, common is more salmon colour, glossy more yellow.