Author Topic: Red oak board bow with tip overlays  (Read 2388 times)

Offline CORIUS

Red oak board bow with tip overlays
« on: May 10, 2013, 10:04:38 am »
60" ntn 40# @ 26"
Any advice?
Im new here by the way and this is the 2nd bow ive made. Any and all advice is welcome.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:08:45 am by CORIUS »
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452

Offline ssgtchad

Re: Red oak board bow with tip overlays
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 11:07:39 am »
Need more pics full draw shot etc. Although it looks better than my 2nd bow and 3rd, 4th....  :o
Always learning something new.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:31:28 am »
I am fairly new to this (for the second time), but it looks like the outer limbs need to bend a bit more, most of the bending is in near the handle.  Congrats on a second bow, I am sure there will be many more.

Kyle

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:23:07 pm »
Looks like your pulling the string above the nocking point.maybe get a shot with an arrow .from the brace it looks like your bottom mid limb is bending a bit much.but hard to tell tho.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 10:32:17 am »
Thanks for the tips. My draw is 30" and i made this one for a guy that has a 26" draw. I wasnt sure if my tiller was right so any advice on that is greatly appreciated

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 10:46:01 am »
Looks like the lower inner limb is stiff to me.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 12:20:02 pm »
Tiller advice isn't really possible without knowing what the front profile of the bow looks like.  If you have a parallel section of limb before you start tapering to the tips, I'd say the tiller is pretty good.  I'd maybe take a few scrapes off the top limb about 2/3 out to the tips, so that the top limb matches the lower.  It seems a bit stiff there.

If it is a pyramid profile, then both limbs are probably a bit stiff out of the fades, but only slightly, and certainly not bad at all for a second bow!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 12:39:03 pm »
I agree with Cam.  The upper limb is working too much about 1/3 of the way out of the fade.  If you get it working more at the 2/3 area, it will relieve that and should balance everything quite nicely.  All in all, very well done!  Josh

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 04:56:10 pm »
Tiller advice isn't really possible without knowing what the front profile of the bow looks like.  If you have a parallel section of limb before you start tapering to the tips, I'd say the tiller is pretty good.  I'd maybe take a few scrapes off the top limb about 2/3 out to the tips, so that the top limb matches the lower.  It seems a bit stiff there.

If it is a pyramid profile, then both limbs are probably a bit stiff out of the fades, but only slightly, and certainly not bad at all for a second bow!

Its a flatbow D style. About 10" from the tips it fades to 3/4" at the tips for width. Made from a 1 x 2