Author Topic: What Is Primitive REALLY ?  (Read 45899 times)

Offline bubby

Re: What Is Primitive REALLY ?
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2013, 05:44:50 pm »
instead of Primitive I prefer hand crafted wooden archery tackle
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2013, 06:54:58 pm »
instead of Primitive I prefer hand crafted wooden archery tackle
I like 'Modern reproductions of of primative/ancient stringed weapons systems.;D ;D ;D

OneBow

Offline Newindian

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2013, 06:58:54 pm »
Primitive bow-bow biased upon a pre-gunpowder society, constructed using the materials, and tools available to that society
I like free stuff.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2013, 08:34:07 pm »
Newindian, so, for example, Plains Indians bows made after the introduction of firearms to the Plains tribes (and using tools obtained from Europeans) were NOT primitive?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Newindian

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2013, 11:40:17 pm »
No ,because they are still based off the bows they had before, but you could say they are a little less primitive. The problem I see with my definition would be with something like the Penobscot bows which were a totally new design created after contact( I may be wrong on that)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:46:49 pm by Newindian »
I like free stuff.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2013, 11:48:46 pm »
It also may be better to say pre-gunpowder dominate socity
I like free stuff.

Offline TatankaOhitika

• Primitive survivalist / bow maker/ flint-knapper
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2013, 02:04:42 am »
Del , ya almost had me choking to death on my dinner after reading that comment about swinging across trees eating fruit  :laugh: . But yep ! Im still gunna use steel tools . But as little as possible . Remember yall , primitive means simple !!
Keep calm , and camoflauge into mud

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2013, 02:36:48 am »
Been following the thread, and I like it too. i didnt realize it would get us all inspired to share.
anyway here is my view.
I had always thought using stone tools was a way of cheating when making primitive bows, however it dawned on me that the way its made or rather with the tools a bow is made has really no effect on the out come being primitive or not. For instance, if you get eh same bow using stone tools and steel tools no one will know the difference, so who cares really. On the other side of the spectrum sing stone tools allows you to look at the past and re-invent what teh primitive cultures did. Any who as to the question what is really primitive. My opinion is that if its made with all natural materials (the bow) like wood, sinew, wax, and other form of sealer it doesnt matter where you get it or what tools you use, as long as its made of. but thats just me. I will one day complete a stone tool bow when i find a green sapling suitable for it just because i like to try all aspects of this stuff.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2013, 07:36:34 am »
"For instance, if you get eh same bow using stone tools and steel tools no one will know the difference, so who cares really."

Well, that's the thing... you're NOT going to get the same bow in the end. You're not going to cut down the same tree with a stone hand axe that you would have with a chainsaw. Or do the same quality of work with stone axes and scrapers as with steel saws, planes, rasps, scrapers, etc. Heck, you may even elect to design the entire bow differently, to better facilitate its construction with primitive tools and methods. Try it. You'll see. Then by all means, come back and tell us what 'primitive bow' means to you afterwards. I think there's a pretty good chance you'll see things a little differently :)
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2013, 07:43:22 am »
"For instance, if you get eh same bow using stone tools and steel tools no one will know the difference, so who cares really."

Well, that's the thing... you're NOT going to get the same bow in the end. You're not going to cut down the same tree with a stone hand axe that you would have with a chainsaw. Or do the same quality of work with stone axes and scrapers as with steel saws, planes, rasps, scrapers, etc. Heck, you may even elect to design the entire bow differently, to better facilitate its construction with primitive tools and methods. Try it. You'll see. Then by all means, come back and tell us what 'primitive bow' means to you afterwards. I think there's a pretty good chance you'll see things a little differently :)

Why don't you try it
I like osage

blackhawk

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2013, 09:04:24 am »

Huh??....what??? ....I'm pretty sure you can get the same results and looks with stone/primitive tools,its just not as easy to do is all...

Offline Marks

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2013, 10:32:56 am »
I'd like to make a motion to change the name of the magazine and forum to. "Not as Primitive as it was once thought to be Archer Magazine" or maybe "Less Primitive Archer Magazine" or "Modern reproductions of of primative/ancient stringed weapons systems Archer Magazine"

Offline anasazi

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2013, 11:09:37 am »
Wouldn't primitive to modern man be pre 1900 wasnt it some where arround there that the car was invented before that most every thing was still made by hand even if it was in a factory it was still a person standing behind a anvil with a hammer in his hand making an item or part of one. Now man can walk up to a machine place a piece of material in it push a few buttons and out comes a item or par of one so intricut and complex it would have taken forever to make by hand if it would even be possible we carry the bulk of the worlds knowledge around in our pockets all we have to do is touch a screen we can travel long distances in no time at all etc etc.there are many times or ages within the general understanding of primitive if it was stone age archer or bronze age archer it would be a lot more restrictive the old world left those ages and was in an industrial age and had gunpowder when the people on this continent where still in the stone age. I think what is more important is the skills learned and the desired connection with those people than the materials used to make the tools power tools may be pushing it a little but it is a new twist on an old machine that with some tweaking could be run with ancient power.    Sorry its so long just my .02

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2013, 12:04:54 pm »
Marks, good sarcasm is always appreciated.    >:D

We have a section on the forum, though, for a certain segment of readers, that practice what we call "very" primitive ways:

Cave Men Only "Oooga Booga"  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/board,20.0.html

Feel free to post your "very" primitive stuff there.  And, as you can see, the section could use the help.   ::)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2013, 12:11:50 pm »
Interesting conversation,seem everyone has a opinion,I build wood bows ,call it what ever you like. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good