Author Topic: I knew arrows could be expensive.... BUT...  (Read 5712 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
Re: I knew arrows could be expensive.... BUT...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 02:47:28 pm »
years ago in the 90s , in Santa Fe during Indian Market ,there were a couple guys making traditional arrows right there on the plaza,
flaking points,straightening shafts, sinew wrapping fletchings and trading them for a $100.00 bill.....
there was a long line of tourists waiting with money in their hands.

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 03:03:03 pm »
years ago in the 90s , in Santa Fe during Indian Market ,there were a couple guys making traditional arrows right there on the plaza,
flaking points,straightening shafts, sinew wrapping fletchings and trading them for a $100.00 bill.....
there was a long line of tourists waiting with money in their hands.

The market ain't as good here in the Black Hills.  They go for about $70 each.  Consequently, the shafts are 3/8 poplar from the hardware store, $1 tourist trade crap-ola points, white farm turkey feathers, and artificial sinew. 

On the other hand, I will make the real deals from chokecherry shoots, wild turkey feathers, real sinew, and knapped points from you guys on the dark side that provide me with points....and without tribal enrollment papers I can't get $10!  I get the sense these buyers are not so much interested in collecting accurate replicas as much as buying indulgences from the Church of Racial Guilt.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 04:38:52 pm »
Does this guy actually sell any?

Probably to Gomers
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 05:12:47 pm »
Funny thing to me is that somebody actually has quite a bit of time into that arrow if it is wrapped in as much thread as it looks like in the picture....or maybe I am just real slow at thread wrapping.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 10:17:35 pm »
Funny thing to me is that somebody actually has quite a bit of time into that arrow if it is wrapped in as much thread as it looks like in the picture....or maybe I am just real slow at thread wrapping.
Grab a spool of thread, paint some glue on the arrow, stick it into a power drill, and turn it on max speed...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"