Author Topic: Top ten reasons for going ABO  (Read 6632 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Top ten reasons for going ABO
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:29 pm »
Thanks JW :D :D

Offline StevenT

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 10:49:31 am »
When it comes to copper vs ABO, I have to admit I admire a point made with ABO over copper. Not saying I don't like copper works, cause I do... I like them all. But the idea of knocking a point out of a rock using what we think is the way the ancestors did it has a certain romantic flare that copper just doesn't have. That being said, I use copper because it is easy to get my hands on. I can go to any hardware store, pick up a couple copper caps for pennies and I am in business. It is very difficult for a city dweller to come up with a Moose or Elk billet. I know I can snag a rock bopper at the local Applebees, but the other ABO tools are a bit more difficult to obtain. And truth be known, I have tried using hammer stones and IT AIN'T EASY. So I will admit it, I think using copper is easier than ABO, so I am being a little lazy not wanting to take the time to learn ABO. Not trying to stir up trouble, this is just my own personal opinion. I like looking at all the points made, copper or ABO.... but there is just something about ABO that rocks!

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 03:26:43 pm »
I hate to say it but some NA tribes did use copper.  Great lakes and some up in Canada.  So copper is kinda abo. At least raw nugget copper.

But yeah, I get it though.  I, too, am an abo knapper.  Gotta love the way an antler tine feels in the hand as you take a flake off. :D

Offline Newbow

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 05:25:12 pm »
I primarily use copper.  When I do knapping demos, occasionally someone will suggest that's not the way the old guys did it and I will tell them about native copper and the evidence that it was, in fact, at least sometimes, used by native peoples.  That always surprises them.  Then, I tell them that the chances are slim it was widely used for knapping because of it relative rarity, explain that I use it for convenience and break out my hammer stone and antler tine and do a little percussion and pressure work to demonstrate I could be doing it that way if I didn't have copper.  (When I first learned to knap it was a hybrid affair with hammer stones for percussion and copper for pressure and I maintain complete tool sets of both Abo and modern.)  Back to copper in an Abo tool set:  Even where copper was relatively abundant it was still a rare commodity and, like gold today, was apparently used for ornamentation and ceremony far more than than for utilitarian purposes.  Additionally, the evidence that it might have been used as a knapping tool comes from quite recent times; only dating from perhaps 600-800 years ago, as far as I know, so that leaves out the majority of point types you could even pretend it was a possible Abo tool type.  In another thread, I cited gold's use today as an analogy for copper use in the past and I suggested that gold could easily be used for tools but you still weren't going to find any at the local hardware store.  That's a bad analogy (gold would be a poor choice for tool metal regardless of how much was around) and I'm surprised no one took me to task on it.  A better example would be gold flatware.  They make it and it's even readily available if you want to lay out the cash, but I'll bet you don't have any; not even gold plated.  I'll bet your neighbors don't have any either.  Copper was available, as gold is today, but rocks and other percussors were much more easily obtained and certainly less valuable.  A whole lot more archeological evidence will need to come to light before copper heads will be able to claim they are knapping "Abo".

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 11:28:14 pm »
The fact that some tribes in some limited areas had access to copper is like the exception that proves the rule.

Kinda like the breechloading flintlock rifle that Major Patrick Ferguson designed for his crack sniper team during the American Revolutionary War.  Yup, I said breechloading.  It is very well documented in a number of major battles up to and including the Battle of King's Mountain where he wisely proclaimed he would not be moved from that mountain by these colonial rabble.  He's still there.

This documented breechloading rifle does not give me a reason to take up a lever action .30-.30 in my historical re-enacting any more than Iowabow feels he wants to take modern electrosmelted copper extruded into rolls of wire to make his points. 

Ok, now that some of you think I whizzed in your cheerios, it is not an accusation of those using copper or how they are supposed to feel inferior.  This exploration into primitive weaponry is a very indivudualized journey for each of us.  For some it is the end product, for others it is connecting with common ancestors, others just want yet another challenge.   Knap the way you wanna.  Iowabow threatens to bring me over to the dark side and use copper to teach me basics.  I fully expect to be razzed the while time by him trying to further damn my soul by going ABO.  I would only expect as much!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 01:18:17 am »
What's this talk about a "bro-mance?"  That's some funny stuff right there.  ;D

The next "From the Pit" column has 10 of the more difficult questions I've gotten from viewers if my abo videos, in addition to the regular copper-head questions.  Hope you guys will like the answers.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 10:48:09 pm »
Can't wait to read them Pat.  And can't wait to bust some of the Tx rock.    :D

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 10:49:27 pm »
John I know id appreciate it much,and benefit if you posted descriptions of your abo techniques...

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 02:11:34 pm »
Saw this video and Thought you'd get a kick out of this his comment.     http://youtu.be/mA2WvqgGuAw

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 03:22:22 pm »
😱😋😋