Author Topic: Pure Gold from the Classic  (Read 11606 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Pure Gold from the Classic
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 05:04:05 pm »
I am using up my old tee shirts, cut and put in the metal strainer and then add the melted wax.  It takes a little while to sift through, but it will be 100 per clean.  I just got four more big squares poured out, and got the last melting in the pot now.  Should get another 3 squares.  I will let every thing rest this evening and night, and the put it all back in the pot, melt it down again, and then do a final straining.  Might pick up some cheese cloth in the morning and see if it works better than the tee shirt.  What I need is some old panty hose.  But no ladies around here to get them from....lol.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 05:20:15 pm »
You might wanna take a second to re-think your harsh comment about "trash".  In all likelihood any part of that dark stuff that is not bee legs, antennae, body parts is likely to be propolis. 

Propolis is now believed to:
1.reinforce the structural stability of the hive
2.reduce vibration
3.make the hive more defensible by sealing alternate entrances
4.prevent diseases and parasites from entering the hive, and to inhibit bacterial growth[3]
5.prevent putrefaction within the hive. Bees usually carry waste out of and away from the hive. However if a small lizard or mouse, for example, finds its way into the hive and dies there, bees may be unable to carry it out through the hive entrance. In that case, they would attempt instead to seal the carcass in propolis, essentially mummifying it and making it odorless and harmless.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 05:20:33 pm »
 I got a buddy that has bees, brings me in big balls of raw wax and I use it just like that, still has a little honey mixed in, works great just like that and when your done waxing a string you get to lick the honey off your fingers
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 05:51:00 pm »
JW, you got me on that one.  So let's just put it as unwanted materials in the wax that I do not use :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 05:53:28 pm »
Dang it all, Charlie, you brought all that cane to the Classic and I didn't even get to look at it, much less sit down and pick your brain about making arrows from it. 

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 06:27:58 pm »
Man you was spread out so thin, I think I seen you flying a couple of times...lol.  Wished we had more time, just so little time and so much going on.  Hard to get it all in within a few days.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 07:00:29 pm »
The last of it.  Now to remelt it all and do a final straining.

Offline seabass

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:36 pm »
Charlie,when you get ready to do some trading let me know.i need some of that.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 06:34:51 pm »
I got it all melted down, strained twice through double cheese cloth.  I finished up with 84, 1.60z containers which is right at 8.4lbs.  I also poured out 7 special blend containers for me to try and have about 5 or 6 more in the crock pot of the special blend until I see if my blend is what I want as I know what mixture and ratio is in it.  Enjoy the pictures, this is the last of the bees wax melting.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 06:35:44 pm »
And my 7 special blend to try. ;)

Offline bhenders

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 06:47:38 pm »
I'm assuming you have bees?  I've been looking all over Lansing for some wax...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 07:10:05 pm »
WOW.....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 07:17:16 pm »
No I don't have bees, but good friends that supply me with some to melt down and clean.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 01:10:51 pm »
I took and mixed some pine pitch with some bees wax after finding a recipe for it on the net, and it is some great string making wax.  The wax is still hard but has a stickiness that is just perfect for string making.  I am loving this stuff.

Pearl, get all you can my friend.

And for anyone out there that can get bees wax, if you will get it, ship it to me, I will refine and clean it up and send half back to you for you self.  So go looking for bees everyone.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 04:24:46 pm »
Someone just gave me an entire beehive, two bottom boxes with 9" frames, two hive supers with frames, queen excluder, bottom board, top board, etc. 

I have to remember to call Animal Control, 911 Dispatch, and all the pest control companies and tell them I am prepared to run out and scoop up a bee swarm if they get a call.  Nothing like a free hive and finding free bees to put in it.  If the swarm proves to be some ornery bees, I can order a good Minnesota Hygenic queen, Italian queen, or Russian queen and squash the mean queen.  Nothing like toppling a bad monarchy and replacing it with a hand picked sweetheart. 

Bees are cool.  Waaaay cool.