Author Topic: supertiller?  (Read 6838 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: supertiller?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 07:55:43 pm »
Being an IT guy I hate Computers...

Besides... THIS IS SPARTA!!!
Oops... I MEAN PRIMITIVE ARCHER!!!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 10:46:19 pm »
Sounds stupid to me. Hell i don't even usually measure for length...
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bow101

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 10:55:51 pm »

-gus

..... :laugh:   I remember the old days of DOS 3.1  Computers have their place, but there is nothing better than sitting around the campfire watching the embers and shooting the gossip instead of texting and facebooking...! >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline AH

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 12:38:17 am »
Hell i don't even usually measure for length...
I see you follow the same sort of habit... ;D
That's why I don't buy bowstrings from archery stores anymore.  I can never remember the bow's length and then tell the guy at the counter. Just make a flemish twist string and tie a timber hitch at whatever's the right legnth.

Offline AH

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 12:42:27 am »

-gus
Ha!
(emphasis on primitive)
I'm known as the "paleoman" among my friends, who are all computer people. However, here in the Silicon-Valley area of the CA bay area, it's just about impossible to not have technology exposure.

Don't get me wrong. I like technology. The wooden, bendy kind.  ::)

Offline avcase

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 01:29:10 pm »
I wrote this program when I began building bows about ten years ago and have used and tinkered with it ever since. I also make it available for free to anyone who is interested in bow design.

One of the strengths of the program is that it lets me see the effect of changing design characteristics of a bow without having to make tons of experimental bows.  It is a very good tool for exploring questions like:

What is the effect of recurve or reflex?
Effect of brace height?
Why are some bow designs more stable than others?
What is the effect of thickness taper on tiller profiles Vs. width?
Where does the energy of drawing the bow go?  How much energy makes it to the arrow, how much stays in the limbs?  How much stays in the string?
What is the effect of string design on bow performance?
Etc.

What it won't do is build the bow for you. It won't help you deal with knots or construction details. It doesn't know if your materials deviate locally from the average values used for each material type. For example, it won't perfectly predict draw weight because no two pieces of wood are exactly alike. However, it will get you in the ball park.  But, the issue is no different with real bows. I feel I could use this program to do just as good a job predicting the draw weight and performance of a historical artifact as building an accurate reproduction.

Alan