Author Topic: Rock ID  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Scallorn

Rock ID
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:02:24 pm »
I found this type of rock in my driveway, and in some local landscaping. It has a lot of rainbow colors in it. I made a good point from a flake of the stuff and plan to kill a deer with it. It knapps really good raw. I live in northeast TX, so I know it isn't local. Anybody know what this is?

Offline Tower

Re: Rock ID
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:09:51 pm »
I'm not sure what its name is. I have made points from that same gravel . Here we find it in the Uvalde gravels formation. It heat darker & sometimes turns pink with heat.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:07:36 pm »
If my drive had stone like that, I'd be ordering weekly to get a new layer spread ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 10:16:53 pm »
 I don't know what it is but I like it. I found some in a corn field between San Antonio and Laredo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 02:19:16 am »
Looks like Tecovas gravel or Tecovas jasper and it is local to NE Texas.  When the color is red or yellow it's considered "jasper".  This jasper is different from the stuff found in the Panhandle but it goes by the same name.  Confusing, I know.

The main formation is between Lake Whitney and Lake Waco, near the town of West (where the big fertilizer plant explosion happend).

Catahoula and Steiner arrowheads were made from this gravel, for example, and both are from NE Texas.

Uvalde gravels occur further south but it's all basically the same stuff.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:34:21 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline xin

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:28:25 am »
Being in NE Tx it could well be citronelle gravel as it is common to this area and is used as filler in concrete and road construction, such as a driveway.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 11:38:34 am »
Citronelle gravel is what arrowheads from the central Mississippi valley are commonly made from.  It's not usually found in Texas unless imported.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 01:29:11 pm »
Thanks Jackcrafty, I have always thought that we didn't have any rock up here. I live just south of the red red river and have never been able  to find rock. The point in the pic' came from a flake off of a larger cobble, a little bigger than a softball. When I broke it open I found that a lot of it was very poor quality and full of stress fractures. only a very small portion of it was good stone.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 01:35:42 pm »
Yep, a lot of surface cobbles have frost damage and wildfire damage.  You may want to walk around some of the landscape yards near you and look at their gravel.  You might be able to find some better quality stuff because most of it is mined from deposits just below the surface.  A bucket of gravel is pretty cheap.   :)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 09:49:26 am »
I was wondering what it was as well. Being from SE Oklahoma I see points from here made from it. I have found a few large size stones (softball size) but am saving them, some smaller ones I have made some points from,but it's been harder to work with.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250